Router for Macbook AND Windows pc?

Reaction score
Is there a router that can be used for a wireless Macbook AND a desktop PD that is not wireless?
I bought the Apple AirPort Express, my Macbook can go wireless, but then my desktop at home can't connect to the internet (I have a cable modem and it only have one outlet thing for a ethernet cable). So I went out and bough a D-Link wireless router, AND THAT didn't work either. It only has one slot thingy for an ethernet cable. I am confused and frustrated. Can someone please help me? :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I use a Linksys router and it works just fine.

--lifeafter2am

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
How? Its just a wireless / wired standard set by the IEEE. The software may not be, but who needs the software, thats what 192.168.1.1 is for.

--lifeafter2am

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
there is no such thing as a router that is not compatible with macs, thats a myth. I would stick with the airport since you have it, it has 2 eithernet jacks, one for the modem, the other for a desktop and since that is what you have, why buy something else?

OP
S
Reaction score
PowerBookG4 said:
there is no such thing as a router that is not compatible with macs, thats a myth. I would stick with the airport since you have it, it has 2 eithernet jacks, one for the modem, the other for a desktop and since that is what you have, why buy something else?
My airport doesn't have two ethernet jacks...I have airport express, it has 1 ethernet and one UBS port

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
sunshine1686 said:
I thought Linksys weren't compatable with Macs?
Routers are OS independent.
In other words, ANY router will work with either Mac or Windows.

OP
S
Reaction score
Okay so could someone please tell me of a router that has more than one ethernet plug?

And could someone please verify if I understand this correctly?
I have a wireless router: I use a ethernet cable from my modem to the router, and then another cable from my router to my desktop (home computer) and I don't need any cables or anything for my laptop, right?

Ultimately what I want is to have my home desktop connected to the internet and have wireless internet on my laptop- all with the same router.

Thanks so much

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
sunshine1686 said:
Okay so could someone please tell me of a router that has more than one ethernet plug?

And could someone please verify if I understand this correctly?
I have a wireless router: I use a ethernet cable from my modem to the router, and then another cable from my router to my desktop (home computer) and I don't need any cables or anything for my laptop, right?

Ultimately what I want is to have my home desktop connected to the internet and have wireless internet on my laptop- all with the same router.

Thanks so much

Your method sounds good - I believe the Linksys WRT54G has a few ethernet jacks in the back. It's the one I use and it's worked flawlessly for 2 years, for 3 Macs and 1 PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
sunshine1686 said:
My airport doesn't have two ethernet jacks...I have airport express, it has 1 ethernet and one UBS port

Sorry I didn't think to ask weather you had the extreme or the express. the extreme has an extra ethernet port in the back, the express does not.

OP
S
Reaction score
deus_ex_machina said:
Your method sounds good - I believe the Linksys WRT54G has a few ethernet jacks in the back. It's the one I use and it's worked flawlessly for 2 years, for 3 Macs and 1 PC.

So if I were to get the Linksys WRT54G would I still need the Apple AirPort Express? And my desktop does not have a wireless card (maybe it's called a network card? I'm not sure), so will the router still work?

Thank you so much for helping me, I really appreciate it! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
sunshine1686 said:
So if I were to get the Linksys WRT54G would I still need the Apple AirPort Express? And my desktop does not have a wireless card (maybe it's called a network card? I'm not sure), so will the router still work?

Thank you so much for helping me, I really appreciate it! :)

If you were to get the Linksys, you wouldn't need the Express. All the desktop needs is an ethernet card, which most computers have standard. It'll plug directly in the back of the router. You may find some use for the Express, maybe as a remote access point to increase your range? IDK :p

Reaction score
similar problem

sorry to slide in on the back of the thread starter's original post but I've got a similar problem except in reverse.

I've been running my Imac at home through a wired DSL modem but there's now a wireless/Wifi PC laptop that I have to share the internet connection with and being completely clueless about these things can't work out the best/cheapest way of doing it.

I do have a D-Link wireless router that was doing the trick for a more technically minded housemate but i can't even work out what it should plug into.

I wouldn't be opposed to buying an upgrade to make the Mac wireless as well if that will make things easier, but don't won't to start buying stuff unless I know it will work and getting technical info in shops in nigh on impossible. Any suggestions at all will be greatly apreciated.

thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.