Hot, new Macbook! (help please!)

Reaction score
Okay I just got my mac book today and I'm not too sure if I like it...I'm actually on my Windows pc as I write this! lol.

I tried searching, but couldn't come up with the right answer- What is this Core Duo Temp thing? Should I download it? My laptop has already gotten pretty hot, what should I do?

Did anyone have difficulties with typing on their macbook when they first got it? I cannot seem to type without making errors! It drives me nuts! I love how fast I can type on my regular keyboard! But it's a mess when I try to type fast on my laptop.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I can't answer your first question, but for your second. Thats just the same with any 13" laptop. The keyboard is way smaller than a normal one, it takes getting used to.

--lifeafter2am

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
lifeafter2am said:
The keyboard is way smaller than a normal one, it takes getting used to.

--lifeafter2am
Actually, it is a full-size keyboard. In fact, all of Apple's notebook computers have full-size keyboards.
MacBook Technical Specifications said:
Input
Built-in full-size keyboard with 78 (U.S.) or 79 (ISO) keys, including 12 function keys, 4 arrow keys (inverted "T" arrangement), and embedded numeric keypad
http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html

To the OP, as long as your computer functions normally, the temperature really shouldn't be a huge concern. ALL notebook computers run hot.
:black:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=30612

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
I dont mind the keyboard at all, of course it takes some adjustment, just as they keyboard you are used too took some adjustment when you first received it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
D3v1L80Y said:
Actually, it is a full-size keyboard. In fact, all of Apple's notebook computers have full-size keyboards.

http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html

To the OP, as long as your computer functions normally, the temperature really shouldn't be a huge concern. ALL notebook computers run hot.
:black:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=30612
Wow even on the macbook. Cool, you learn something new every day. I was so used to my ergonomic keyboard that it took me a while to get used to it.

--lifeafter2am

C

CWMac

It might be full size but it aint the size of a keyboard (pc desktop style) :p The one thing that got me at first was even with the setting to ignore accidental trackpad touches, when typing my thumb kept touching and moving the cursor.So id be typing then next minute my text was appearing way up the top etc lol.

Why are people so obessed with the Mb temp lol. It runs cooler to touch than most PC laptops ive used and is dam sight quieter. OP search for Core Duo Temp widget. Use that to tell you the temp but to be honest like stated unless it stops working due to over heating its no problem.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Mac Laptop keyboards have always been great for my hands. The only keyboard I can go faster on is this Thinkpad I am typing this on at the moment. I have heard that some have had to get used to the design of the Macbook's keyboard and once they did they loved it. Give it more time. I tried one at CompUSA and it felt fine and I was able to type on it well in just minutes. The Keyboard on Mac Notebooks is as good as any I have ever tried on any Notebook computer and like DB said, it's Full sized, but do not expect any Laptop/Notebook keyboard to be as large as an external keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
sunshine1686 said:
Okay I just got my mac book today and I'm not too sure if I like it...I'm actually on my Windows pc as I write this! lol.

I tried searching, but couldn't come up with the right answer- What is this Core Duo Temp thing? Should I download it? My laptop has already gotten pretty hot, what should I do?

Did anyone have difficulties with typing on their macbook when they first got it? I cannot seem to type without making errors! It drives me nuts! I love how fast I can type on my regular keyboard! But it's a mess when I try to type fast on my laptop.

Thanks

Core Duo Temp is at www.macupdate.com or send me your email and ill email you the application.

I have never had any problems wth my macbook, i wish i woulda gotten the 2gb ram, but thats it. Im still a newbie to the apple community, but absolutly will not go back to microsoft! You will get used to it, and figure out it is alot safer and nicer then a PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Ive had my MacBook for 6 days and I am completely adjusted to using it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 4GB RAM
I felt the same way as you with the heat issues - it was definitely a deal breaker for me. Take it to your local apple store and they might say its defective and get you a new one.

Reaction score
sunshine1686 said:
Thanks

It's gotten hot? What laptop are you comparing it to? Specs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
to help answer you and clarify a few things i have read here:

first off i would like to state that the MB and MBP are notebooks and not laptops and apples website states that as well.
Intel Core Duo
Built upon the revolutionary Intel Core Duo — with two processor cores on a single chip — MacBook leaves other consumer notebooks in the dust. It performs up to five times faster than the previous generation iBook without compromising on size or style.

Core duo temp is just a way of monitoring your computers temperature. if you like to know how hot or cool it really is just download it. watching your temperature will do nothing for you though. if you dont have it and your notebook gets too hot it will turn itself off. This article gives the general idea of it although not completely related to heat issues
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302856

you will get used to the keyboard very quickly, all keyboards will feel a little different from the others but in a few hours you should be getting used to it.

the 'ignore trackpad' button issue. if you are not actively typing, or you pause briefly in typing your trackpad will 'reactivate' and if you touch it your cursor is going to move. also proper typing technique requires that your palms do not touch any surface so your thumbs should never go near the trackpad anyway.
00604697.jpg

good day
-chris

S

sursuciofla

coach_z said:
to help answer you and clarify a few things i have read here:

first off i would like to state that the MB and MBP are notebooks and not laptops and apples website states that as well.

A laptop is a portable computer...coined notebook because laptops these days create too much heat to sit on lap. But a notebook in fact is something I use to take notes. So although they are not "lap"tops they are in fact laptops. I am able to use my laptop on my lap because I purchased the lapdesk (Targus) and it is fantastic.

Also read this it is quite interesting to read the history although I am familiar with a lot of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notebook_computer

Apple has come a long way baby!!! :mac:

Reaction score
When i use handbrake to xfer movies from dvd to my ipod, It goes up to 83 degrees... Is this normal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
VTECMAN said:
When i use handbrake to xfer movies from dvd to my ipod, It goes up to 83 degrees... Is this normal?
make sure to remember this, it is listed in DB's link above all of us
apple.com said:
There are third-party utilities that measure the temperature of a notebook. It is important to understand that these utilities are not measuring the external case temperature. The actual case temperature is much lower. Never use third-party applications to diagnose possible hardware issues—instead, call Apple or go to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider

and oh yes, 83 should be fine.
-chris

Reaction score
coach_z said:
make sure to remember this, it is listed in DB's link above all of us

-chris

Oh yeah i knew that.. but my fan also kicks in on max when im doing this.

Reaction score
VTECMAN said:

Yes it is normal. Mine does the same thing. And even at that temp, it does not burn my legs like others have claimed. Just use it and enjoy it.

Next, people with new cars are going to feel their hood and say "this is three degrees hotter than my last car!" Is this normal?

S

sursuciofla

Human body normal temperature is 98.6 degrees.

I guess it has nothing to do with this subject but it may help in understanding about heat.

I would not call that very hot. Now if it sat outside it that kind of heat that would be bad but the temp is internal. When your laptop starts melting then be concerned but for now I wouldn't worry too much.

S

sursuciofla

ripfrankwhite said:
Next, people with new cars are going to feel their hood and say "this is three degrees hotter than my last car!" Is this normal?

Is it normal for my engine to get that hot? :black:

Reaction score
sursuciofla said:
Is it normal for my engine to get that hot? :black:

It burns when I sit naked on my hood! This car is defective!

When it malfunctions, then it is a problem. Until then, just use the computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.