Does third-party RAM work in Macbook?

S

Skreme

I am a PC person and am considering switching to mac. On my pc laptops I was able to unscrew the bottom panel and put in RAM. Can I do the same thing with a mac? Will third party RAM like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145157
work in the macbook (the one that they are now selling on apple.com)? Will a macbook (not pro) go up to 2gb? This Mac noobie thanks you for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz (white), iPod Photo 40GB, iPod Nano 4GB
1) yes
2) yes
3) yes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
I have a buddy named SEARCH that can answer this question and many others :),

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Does he look like the guy in my sig?

Reaction score
i think there are mixed opinions about which ram is compatible but yes, 3rd party does work.

i installed 2x 1gb adata sticks the other day. at first it didn't work (not booting, or randomly turning off while running os x) so i googled and found some had problems, others found it worked fine. in the end it works just fine, but after i reseated the ram about 4 times. so the not working was probably down to my fear of crushing the ram into the slot and not pushing it in far enough.

i wouldn't draw any conclusions from this, other than do try a reseat if it doesn't work at first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
ram is ram is ram....as long as it is the correct size and specs any ram will work. although you should always purchase ram with a lifetime warantee

if it doesnt work it it is the wrong type, is bad, or is installed incorrectly
-chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.