Whats that weird Icon on my Desktop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2GHZ Intel Core Duo, 60GB HD, 2GB DDRAM
Hey guys i just switch to mac the other day, and i love it.

i do however have some questions about macs.

when ever i open a program say liek fire fox, a new windows open with the fox fox icon and then a fire fox browser is launched. also when i quit the fire fox application there is a firefox icon on a thing that looks like a hardrive that i have to eject or drag to the trash can.

so my question is why does a new window pop up before fire fox browser opens

and also why is there a firefox hardrive looking icon on my desktop even when i close the application?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
That's a Disk Image.

Read this.

You should be able to figure it out from there.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2GHZ Intel Core Duo, 60GB HD, 2GB DDRAM
lol that article teaches you how to make one. i want to get rid of mine. yeah thanks for the tip to eject it, but i already know that trick lol. but i don't wanna have to go through the process of ejecting it each time i open up say...fire fox. my girl friend has a mac book pro and when i use fire fox on her mac, the fire fox disk image (white hardrive with a firefox icon) doesn't show up on the desktop. it just opens and closes without creating a disk image. how do i set it up so that it can do the same for my macbook. it's a small thing but the hassle can be repetitive with fire fox... =[

S

sursuciofla

You will find the icon in the drive that is created from the disk image. Just drag the icon to Applications and it is done. Go in apps and find icon and you can put it in your dock for easy access.

I said previously in my earlier post to drag icon into apps though if you missed it.

Reaction score
itsdaydrmer said:
lol that article teaches you how to make one. i want to get rid of mine. yeah thanks for the tip to eject it, but i already know that trick lol. but i don't wanna have to go through the process of ejecting it each time i open up say...fire fox. my girl friend has a mac book pro and when i use fire fox on her mac, the fire fox disk image (white hardrive with a firefox icon) doesn't show up on the desktop. it just opens and closes without creating a disk image. how do i set it up so that it can do the same for my macbook. it's a small thing but the hassle can be repetitive with fire fox... =[

When you launch FireFox and the new window opens with the FF icon, well just drag that icon into your Applications folder. Then launch FF from the App folder and go to your Dock when FF is open. Hold the cursor over the Dock FF icon and select "Keep in Dock".

Now whenever you want to open FF just find it in your Dock and click to launch. This method goes for everything you download.

S

sursuciofla

itsdaydrmer said:

Disk image is the paper icon with a disc (image) on it. The drive that you see is not the disk image but a drive created from the disk image. The app is within that drive which you must drag to apps to actually put it on your system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP | 2 GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 320 GB External | Canon 20D and lotsof lenses
itsdaydrmer

I had the exact same problem when I got my Mac, fought for two days with it. Sursuciofla and Pulse-8 are giving you the instructions on how to properly install the program. As when you click on it after the download it isn't "installed" yet.

Reaction score
On macs, all apps are contained in a "package". In order to install a program, just drag it somewhere on your computer, be it the desktop or applications folder. That's it. Unlike Windows, there is no Add/Remove Programs Process (for programs like Firefox at least). The program is entirely self contained, and once it is actually saved on your computer, you'll never need the disk image again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.