Could this be the end of my ibook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
:eek:neye: Hi all. I have an ibook g4 with some serious power issues. My battery has quit charging. I mean totally quit charging. When I plug in my computer, the little battery symbol in the top right shows a battery with an "X" in it. When I unplug the ibook, the computer totally shuts off which would be normal with a dead battery, but when I plug it back in, my time and date are reset to wednesday at 7pm something like 1967 or whatever the date is set to when you first get the ibook from the factory. If this was just a battery issue, why would the date reset when unplugged? I also have a problem that if I move the ibook when plugged in, it shuts off sometimes. I have to move it very gently to avoid the computer shutting down. If it does, I have to unplug it and then plug it back in. I am in the process now of downloading all my files to disks, so that I dont lose anything should it decide to not start up again at all next time. Any ideas? Is it worth saving? I am thinking about junking it and selling it for parts or repairs and getting a nice new WORKING macbook. Its only salvation would be if this is an easy or cheap fix, or at least a diagnosable problem. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? And, no it is no longer under warranty, though are batteries even covered by the warranty? :eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Sounds like your PRAM battery and/or your charging board is dead.
Considering the amount of work required to take apart an iBook G4, I wouldn't consider either one of those that easy to replace.
I know several people here have dismantled an iBook G4 in the past, but I would never recommend it.

S

sursuciofla

Well if you can't fix it I would like to purchase that battery, that's if it is indeed still any good, since we have same spec ibook

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I purchased a new power adapter from amazon in the hope of fixing my ibook. While the computer no longer shuts off everytime i move it, my battery wont charge at all. The battery now says 75% charge, but when pressing the buttom on the battery, I get no lights lighting up at all. I also can't unplug my ibook without it shutting down. If I unplug it, the computer resets and the clock reads wednesday 7pm, 1979 or something like that. i was going to get a new macbook, but have read about shutting down problems with it. I hate to say this, but I am leaning towards saying goodbye to apple and hello to windows again.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
P.S. To all of you macbook owners out there? I am considering one as my last attempt at being a happy mac user. Are these glitch-prone machines? I have read good and bad about them. How are they comparable to an ibook g4?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.