Noob being a moron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello guys, I am been around the forum as a guest but just registered, do to an unfortuntate issue. I use my macbook pro to watch movies and whatnot since I dont have a tv. So I was watching a dvd last night, while I ate my dinner. I had a Sobe sitting about 2 feet from the computer. Somehow I managed to knock it over and about a ounce maybe two spilled into my keyboard. I quickly unplugged everything and turned the computer upside down. The majority of the fluid poured back out of the keyboard. I then took the battery out and there was not anything in there. I cleaned the computer up as much as possible. I started it up this morning. Everything is working fine, at first the audio output jack did not work but now it works fine. This confused me a little. So my question is where to go from here? The fluid mostly spilled to the left side of the keyboard, near the fn, ctrl, option, shift, and apple keys. I think there is a vent here and I believe the drive is under this area. I am concerned about long term damage. Some of the keys are sticky too, in that same area. Do you all have any suggestions?

I am a complete moron, I still can't believe this happened. I still do not even know how it happened, but thats not important. Thanks in advance for any help. Sorry to come on here for this purpose, I just can't find much good info on the internet.

Oh and when I dumped the sobe out of the keyboard, it ran onto my screen. How should I go about cleaning the screen?

OP
M
Reaction score
now I am more of an idiot, i posted in the wrong forum, sorry about that.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hello guys, I am been around the forum as a guest but just registered, do to an unfortuntate issue. I use my macbook pro to watch movies and whatnot since I dont have a tv. So I was watching a dvd last night, while I ate my dinner. I had a Sobe sitting about 2 feet from the computer. Somehow I managed to knock it over and about a ounce maybe two spilled into my keyboard. I quickly unplugged everything and turned the computer upside down. The majority of the fluid poured back out of the keyboard. I then took the battery out and there was not anything in there. I cleaned the computer up as much as possible. I started it up this morning. Everything is working fine, at first the audio output jack did not work but now it works fine. This confused me a little. So my question is where to go from here? The fluid mostly spilled to the left side of the keyboard, near the fn, ctrl, option, shift, and apple keys. I think there is a vent here and I believe the drive is under this area. I am concerned about long term damage. Some of the keys are sticky too, in that same area. Do you all have any suggestions?

I am a complete moron, I still can't believe this happened. I still do not even know how it happened, but thats not important. Thanks in advance for any help. Sorry to come on here for this purpose, I just can't find much good info on the internet.

Oh and when I dumped the sobe out of the keyboard, it ran onto my screen. How should I go about cleaning the screen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I would use something approved for electronics to clean the keyboard and screen, you don't want any more liquid to get in there. If it works now, you probably got lucky, my friend spilled water on his macbook and then it just stopped working.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2GHz | 1GB RAM | 256MB VRAM | Mac OS X 10.4.7
Well it's a good thing that you turned it off immediately... I would say bring it to Apple and tell them if it's possible that they help you clean the internal parts of the notebook. Just be honest and tell them what happened..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
as gross as this sounds......i spilled some tobacco juice in my ibook a couple years ago.....it fried the logic board. In your case, the fact that it is a sugary drink is probably a bad thing. Just wait and see if anything goes wrong with it. if it does...then your just gonna have to get it repaired

S

sursuciofla

sixslinger said:
as gross as this sounds......i spilled some tobacco juice in my ibook a couple years ago.....it fried the logic board.

Ewww! So how did it happen?

OP
M
Reaction score
well it has been working just fine all day. the issue is the handful of keys that are sticky, so for now I am just using my external keyboard. I just noticed right now that there is a high pitched whine coming from the computer. I am not sure if I am really hyper sensitive right now with this issue, but I dont know if I have noticed it before. the noise is very quiet, and high frequency. I sure hope I dont have issues. The monitor cleaned up just fine, by the way.

oh and sorry for the whole double post deal, i dont know what happened. Possibly the mods moved my post in the macbook forum over, since I accidently posted over in there.

S

sursuciofla

Did you pull up your keyboard and clean it up? And you might need pop the keys off and clean them up with some warm water and a little soap and let them dry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
i can't see why you could not pop them off and put them in the dish washer, i take my keys off from time to time to clean under them, they are not hard to put back on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
sursuciofla said:
Ewww! So how did it happen?

I had a bottle with some tobacco juice in it, and both it and my ibook were in my bookbag...this was in college...the lid came off the bottle, and the rest is history. The computer was asleep at the time, and I literally heard the cracking and popping of the logic board frying......I quit dipping soon after :eek:neye:

Reaction score
I would use something approved for electronics to clean the keyboard and screen, you don't want any more liquid to get in there. If it works now, you probably got lucky, my friend spilled water on his macbook and then it just stopped working.

mbp? if so does he still have it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.