iMac Temperature Sensors?

Jem

Reaction score
My Intel iMac (2.0GHZ dual core) doesn't appear to have temperature sensors... is this correct? I've searched around the board and no doubt it's mentioned but I can't find anything useful on it.

I've only noticed because of one of my widgets that can monitor CPU performance and temperature says there's no sensors? Seems strange... how does it control the fans without temp monitoring?

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
I don't think that the iMac does have any temperature sensors. I believe that they only put them in the laptop range.

OP
J

Jem

Reaction score
Thanks for that Olias, exactly what I was looking for :) 31C ... or thereabouts. nice one. Cheers!

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
Cool, I have just installed that. It looks good.

OP
J

Jem

Reaction score
Nice thing is that includes the kernel extension for reading the temperatures, so now my existing monitoring widget (iStat) can pick up the same temp. readings for itself :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Jem said:
Nice thing is that includes the kernel extension for reading the temperatures, so now my existing monitoring widget (iStat) can pick up the same temp. readings for itself :)

Hey Jem... Can you post the extensions, and how to get the iStat to read it???

Thanks!

OP
J

Jem

Reaction score
I just went to Olias's link and downloaded CoreDuoTemp v1.0 and the CoreDuoTemp Widget. I installed them both and checked the widget was working, then popped to the settings for iStat and noticed that I could now enable the temperature monitoring.

I'm pretty sure CoreDuoTemp v1.0 is all you need as it installs SpeedIt, and SpeedIt is the kernel extension (I believe... can't see the details on the site but I think I read this elsewhere).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Reaction score
I installed the Coreduotemp and have a few questions. It seems to read the temp OK but why does it indicate a 1.0 GHz clock speed when I'm running a 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo? Also, what is an acceptable temp range it should read before I should wory about a high temp? Thanks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
I installed the Coreduotemp and have a few questions. It seems to read the temp OK but why does it indicate a 1.0 GHz clock speed when I'm running a 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo? Also, what is an acceptable temp range it should read before I should wory about a high temp? Thanks...

im not sure about this its just a guess but

does it only enable both cores when it needs the power? like photoshop or final cut pro etc.

just a GUESS

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1
Unfortunately this didn't work for me. Gave me an error.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.