my ibook is running SLOW

Reaction score
so i'm semi-new to macs and my mac is running way slow...anybody know if there are any applications out there that will let me know why my ibook is running so slow?

i noticed my computer much more slow after intalling itunes 7
but right before that, i also tried installing nicotine and followed some steps i found online in which i had to install fink - but it because too hard when i encountered a few errors. then i decided to thow fink in the garbage and install ssx.

anyway, ever since i installed these apps i have noticed my computer acting up way more stupid and slow. like itunes takes a little over one minute to load and ... well, im just frustrated as everything seems very slow.

i even feel like backing up everything and restoring the whole OS ... let me know if there are anty other better alternatives out there ... thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have an 1.33Ghz iBook G4. ITunes 7 made no difference in booting or overall operation. ITunes itself runs about the same speed for me. It for sure does not take 1 minute to load. Maybe 10-15 seconds Max.

I bet it's some of the other stuff you installed.

OP
W
Reaction score
i have over 130gb of mp3s - so im thinking that might play a small role - but itunes 6 didnt lag as bad....it might be all the other software, like u say, but how could i find out?

dtravis7 said:
I have an 1.33Ghz iBook G4. ITunes 7 made no difference in booting or overall operation. ITunes itself runs about the same speed for me. It for sure does not take 1 minute to load. Maybe 10-15 seconds Max.

I bet it's some of the other stuff you installed.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would help more but know nothing about Fink and where it puts it's files. What are the applications you installed along with Fink? You said nicotine, anything else? I am hoping someone more familar with nicotine and such will read this and help.

That many MP3's could slow down the loading of iTunes a bit. The largest library on my one system is more like 60GB. It does not seem to take all that long to launch.

OP
W
Reaction score
i did unload all files from itunes and seemed to help a great deal.

i guess its time to upgrade memory and/or computer if i will be running that much media.

fink is:
http://fink.sourceforge.net/

...and these are the instructions i followed in order to install nicotine, but i was unable to get past "fink's self update" because it didnt self update properly:

http://captnswing.net/2004/02/12/nicotine.html

but yeah, i am not sure what to do now and it sucks cause my warranty just expired :(

dtravis7 said:
I would help more but know nothing about Fink and where it puts it's files. What are the applications you installed along with Fink? You said nicotine, anything else? I am hoping someone more familar with nicotine and such will read this and help.

That many MP3's could slow down the loading of iTunes a bit. The largest library on my one system is more like 60GB. It does not seem to take all that long to launch.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.