macbook and projector

V

veelanny

Hi there,
I'm a new mac user and am doing presentations with Keynote with a projector. I'm all ready to do my first lecture and need to know what kind of adaptor I should use to hook up to the school's projector. I'm in a small town about an hour outside of Guangzhou, China. I think I need a Mini DVI to something.... VGA ? DVI ? Video ? and also... there are no Mac dealers anywhere around here. Is there a PC equivalent cable that will work ? I've done a google search and it looks like the nearest mini DVI cable ( mac dealer ) is in Hong Kong but since I'm waiting for my mult-entry visa... I can't leave China. I have to do my first lecture in 10 days. Anyone have any ideas ? I think I'm plugging my computer into a projector but as I've never done this before, and it's my first Mac... ( bought 45 days ago ) I'm feeling a bit lost.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
Lost in China, Vee.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
I never tried it myself but this article might give you some idea

OP
V

veelanny

still need to find a mini DVI adaptor for my MacBook

Thanks for the link NoviceW. Once I get the little adaptor thing it looks like it will be a valuable resource for getting the whole thing up and running. If anyone lives in Guangzhou and knows where I can find a "mini DVI to VGA adaptor" I'd love to hear from you. Or if anyone knows of a Mac Dealer in Guangzhou it would be a place to start from.
Thanks, Vee.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'd try to buy it from an online dealer who can post it to Guangzhou asap.
miniDVI isn't a common connector, so finding it at a PC dealership will probably be difficult.

OP
V

veelanny

Still need help....

Hello again,
I've figured out what kind of plug to put into my Mac Book, it's a mini DVI plug but when I went to the lecture room to find out what I'm plugging into no one could tell me what it was. It's rectangular in shape and has 15 pins, and 2 little screws to hold it in place on either side. It looks like the thing that I plugged into my first monitor, which was a PC. And it's a male end. Does anyone no what this is called ? The pins are in 3 rows of 5 and the middle row is slightly off-set from the two outside rows. I assume I'll need the female end of this adaptor on the other end of my Mini DVI.
Thanks for any help anyone can offer. Vee.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
It's probably a VGA connector...

If you get the miniDVI-> VGA adapter you should be fine.

Alternatively get the miniDVI->DVI adapter and use a common DVI->VGA adapter. (These can be found nearly everywhere)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.