internet problems

Reaction score
when my wife and I bought a new house we decided to get cable internet. she originally had her ibook there when the cable modem was installed. later I brought my g4 (533 running OS X 10.2.8) to the house. I've tried and tried again to connect to the internet and can't seem to accomplish the feat. I thought maybe it was my 10.2.8 build, but I'm running the patched version (6R73). Connecting using DCHP automatic connection. everything matches the setting on her ibook (IP address, submask, etc.) any ideas on what could be blocking me? am I overlooking something?

Reaction score
You can't have the same IP address on the same network. If your DHCP is working correctly you both should have a different IP address.

OP
Tyranny22
Reaction score
we're both not hooked up to the cable modem at the same time. at the moment we only have one ethernet cord, so I've been swithing back and forth. should it still have a unique address, or should it still connect with with that same address as long as only one computer is connect at any one time? thanks for any help you can provided.

S

sursuciofla

How is everything setup? Meaning your network...that may help answer your question. What you are saying isn't specific enough I don't think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The one thing that you cannot change, is the MAC (Media Access Control)
address for each computer. The modem sets an IP for each MAC address through DHCP. Just because you are setting the IP address the same, you won't be able to connect by just swapping the ethernet cable. You are going to have to reboot the modem each and every time you change computers. That way, the modem will recognize the new MAC address and get proper DHCP for it. The only way to really avoid this is to get a router.

OP
Tyranny22
Reaction score
I'm having trouble connecting to the internet. it's not exactly what I think of as a network. we've just got a cable modem with an ethernet cord running to the ethernet port. when my wife's ibook is hooked up, everything works fine. but, when I disconnect and hook my g4 up, everything in the preferences clicks over to match what her ibook preferences said, but when I launch safari or firefox it says the site cannot be found. it's odd that all the preference click over. I've got it set to "Automatic" and "DCHP". the IP address, router, and submask information all fills in by itself. could this possibly be the actual ethernet port itself??? I'm lost. I've updated to the newer OS X 10.2.8 build (6R73), but no luck.

OP
Tyranny22
Reaction score
thanks

thanks for the tip. I'll try re-booting the modem when I switch computers. :black:

D3v1L80Y said:
The one thing that you cannot change, is the MAC (Media Access Control)
address for each computer. The modem sets an IP for each MAC address through DHCP. Just because you are setting the IP address the same, you won't be able to connect by just swapping the ethernet cable. You are going to have to reboot the modem each and every time you change computers. That way, the modem will recognize the new MAC address and get proper DHCP for it. The only way to really avoid this is to get a router.

S

sursuciofla

Yeah makes a lot more since now and D-boy is exactly right. I think you should just get a router though it will be a lot more convenient for you.

OP
Tyranny22
Reaction score
I'll definitely keep the router in mind. My wife and I are constantly on our computers working since we're both freelance and it'll become very frustrating when we have to keep swapping connections back and forth. Any idea if we'll loose any connection speed while both online at the same time going through a router?
sursuciofla said:
Yeah makes a lot more since now and D-boy is exactly right. I think you should just get a router though it will be a lot more convenient for you.

S

sursuciofla

Technically I don't know but from my experience it won't affect your work. Usually two or more users on at the same time at my house and I don't have noticeable slowdown. It may be true from a technical aspect but nothing I notice.

OP
Tyranny22
Reaction score
great. thanks for all the help. I'll let you know if the re-boot works for a temporary fix and I'm sure the router will take care of the problem permanently.thanks again for the help!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have many systems all networked here and it's fast as can be. Only time there would be a slowdown is if one system was downloading a lot of files or streaming videos. That would slow the whole network down.

Get a Router. It will save you a lot of trouble and give you a hardware firewall between you and the net if you get one with an SPI (Statefull Packet Inspection) Firewall.

With some cable companies I have worked with, they lock the cable to the machine you set it up with to the MAC Address. If you have a router, you simply clone the MAC address from that first system into the router and all will be fine.

OP
Tyranny22
Reaction score
it worked! I'm writing from my G4 now. can't beleive it was that simple! thanks for everything guys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.