HSDPA access in the UK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 ghz white 2 gig Ram
Wasn't quite sure where to post this, but seeing as I am a Macbook user I thought I would drop it in here.

Since purchasing my Macbook about six weeks ago I have nothing but praise for what has turned out to be a wonderful machine. Much faster and smoother than any PC's I have owned, or currently still own, which to be honest I was somewhat surprised at.

I thought I would miss my Microsoft programmes..... NO. I am currently running most of the programmes that came with the Mac and am more than happy.

Yes it gets a bit warm, but so does my work laptop. But at least the Mac boots without giving me the time to make a coffee, and it's half the size, and half the weight, and every add on gizmo works between PC and Mac.... :)

Only one down side.... No PCMCIA or expresscard slot. To be honest I knew that before I bought it and decided that having one was not enough to stay with PC. I was looking at using my mobile to get access to emails while on the move, very important to me. That was until I learned that Vodafone UK are launching a USB HSDPA modem this autumn. I know that this won't really help you guys across the pond, but it is a big move forward for Mac users. Apparently this launched in Oz earlier in the year and is proving quite popular with those who don't have the facility for an internal 3G card.

Anyway link below, I'll shut up now before I get carried away ;)

http://www.3gnewsroom.com/3g_news/aug_06/news_7149.shtml

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 ghz white 2 gig Ram
I have looked into USB - PCMCIA adaptors. They are somewhat rare in the UK and unfortunately won't support the card I am looking to run.

The only reason I initially looked toward a PC that would support these cards is for email access while not in wireless hotspot range.

This does happen on a frequent basis, and I rely heavily on email..... about 60 per day.

Thankfully Vodafone have saved the day, although I'm not sure what the cost will be like.

As I said previously, the lack of PCM or expresscard support wasn't enough to put me off buying my Macbook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.