Macbook to TV

Reaction score
Is there a way to connect my macbook to a TV via S-video or component cables? Also if i do s-video wat do i use to connect the audio? I just need a larger screen for when i show movies to alot of ppl in my dorm room

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2 Gigs RAM and Macbook 2 Ghz CD 1 Gig RAM
There is no way to get audio out of the DVI output. You would need to run the audio from the seperate 3.5 mm audio output on the macbook. You can get an adapter that converts the headphone jack to component audio output, then you can run that to any type of component audio input, such those ordinarily found on the back of TV sets or home theater receivers. The adapters are cheap.

M

mirsky

I tried with the s video and the pictures were not sharp--I wasn't showing movies, but photos. Need a new suggestion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
unless your TV supports DVI input there aren't any other ways to connect it. Regular televisions can't handle the resolution of computers so they can't display it with the same resolution/sharpness.

L

Logan

mirsky said:
I tried with the s video and the pictures were not sharp--I wasn't showing movies, but photos. Need a new suggestion.

Television isn't exactly known for it's sharp resolutions...

Make sure you go to System Preferences and lower the resolution to a more suitable one for your television. Is your TV High Definition?

When I plug my mac mini into a TV it figures it out quite well, I have standard from-a-DVD quality when playing movies. If you have blur that is more likely due to your TV than the output of the macbook, unless you are running a really high resolution and it just doesn't know what to do with all the information being spit out of the S-Video it looks blurry.

Try this: Turn off the macbook pro. Turn on the TV and set it to the S-Video IN port channel. Plug in the S-Video + DVI adaptor. Turn on the MacBook Pro. see how the resolution is when you boot up clean and it detects the SVIDEO resolution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.