How much RAM is the standard

C

ChrisBcreme

I was a windows junky but all that change when spyware, corrupt files, and viruses took over. The standard for my PC and the programs I ran were 1 gig. i dont see too many 1 gig macbooks so im thinking 512 is the standard.

Reaction score
1 gig will do you fine, the 512mb is the minimum that can be installed and that's how they're sold.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
512 is fine for your average email, surf, chat people
1gig is good for people who maydo other things while doing that such as dabble in photoshop, fold, etc
1gig+is good for people who use photoshop while using illustrator and want to rip a dvd all at the same time. for these people i recomend closer to 2 gigs esp since ram is so cheap nowadays
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
its also important to have 2gigs if you are using programs that require rosetta.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I've noticed that Apple have always been a bit stingy with RAM in their new machines.

OS X makes much better use of spare RAM than XP (and I'm a window user, my wife is the Mac user) and so anything up to 4 gigs will be put to good use if you're a heavy multitasker. My better half has a 1 gig machine, 1.83ghz Core Duo, and I have never seen it need more but she's a fairly light user.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2GHZ Intel Core Duo, 60GB HD, 2GB DDRAM
hey what is rosetta anyways...hehe i just got my mac so im still trying to figure out new things

Reaction score
Rosetta is built into OS X Tiger and allows PowerPC software to run on the Intel-based Macs. Rosetta translates code intended to run on PowerPC processors into code that is compatible with Intel processors.

Keep in mind that Rosetta does not support the Apple Pro applications Final Cut Pro, Motion, Soundtrack Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Aperture, Logic Pro, Logic Express, Shake and Final Cut Express. You will need to purchase the Universal versions of these applications.

Reaction score
itsdaydrmer said:
hey what is rosetta anyways...hehe i just got my mac so im still trying to figure out new things

If you're still figuring out the new OS then you really won't be dealing with Rosetta. Just enjoy the experience and don't forget to search the forum just in case your question has already been answered.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.