• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Convert .mov to .avi?

Reaction score
I'm trying to convert my movie that I created in iMovie HD into .avi. Is that possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5 (PPC)
Are you trying to compress it? I think you can use the Divx encoder to do that. I am pretty sure you have to pay money for the encoding though

Reaction score
Yeah it is possible. In iMovie choose File | Export | Choose the Quicktime logo | Under the compress movie for settings--chose Expert Settings. After you click 'Share' the SAVE EXPORTED FILE AS dialog box appears. Under Export: choose Movie to AVI.

Best of luck!

OP
K
Reaction score
When I convert it to .avi, the movie is very pixely, how can I improve the quality of the movie?

Reaction score
It's probably the way the .mov was compressed. You are effectively double-compressing it, so if it came from a consumer-standard format such as MiniDV in the first place, it will not retain much quality after a couple of compressions. Can you get back to the original edit before it was exported as .mov? Also, check the output settings when exporting from iMovie.

OP
K
Reaction score
yea, I still have it as a .dv in iMovie, what would be the best way to compress it so that it doesn't look bad? this video is going to be blown up to a huge auditorium screen and I need it to look good on that screen, and it will probably be playing on a windows machine. I tried .wmv, but it only converts like the first 30 sec. of the movie, any ideas why it does that?

Reaction score
I would use the mpeg-4 and go under the options to adjust the screen size as needed. I would guess that your video appears to be pixelated because of the screen size that was chosen. Best of luck...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.