begin stupid Mac questions

S

supenguin

OK. Just got a new ibook last night. First time I've actually used MacOS/X besides playing around at the Apple Store or friends powerbooks. Anyway... Here come the first of my stupid Mac questions... Most of them are trivial issues

1. When I installed, I didn't pay attention to what it made my default username. It did my full name in all lowercase with no spaces. I just want it to be my first name. Any way to change it, or am I stuck with creating a new user?

1.a It made the computer name My Name's Computer. Any way to change that?

2. I have a stack of CD's with mp3's on them. Any way to add them to my itunes playlist while the CD is in, then remove them when its not? For now, I've just been copying them to my hard drive by dragging the CD to itunes.

3. There is no question 3. At least not yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
supenguin said:
OK. Just got a new ibook last night. First time I've actually used MacOS/X besides playing around at the Apple Store or friends powerbooks. Anyway... Here come the first of my stupid Mac questions... Most of them are trivial issues

Welcome to the Mac Community!

1. When I installed, I didn't pay attention to what it made my default username. It did my full name in all lowercase with no spaces. I just want it to be my first name. Any way to change it, or am I stuck with creating a new user?

dont worry about this. its something the computer needs. besides seeing it occassionally, youll normally only see/use your full name.

1.a It made the computer name My Name's Computer. Any way to change that?

open System Preferences >> Sharing... where it says My Name's Computer.local, enter what you want it to be called in the space.

2. I have a stack of CD's with mp3's on them. Any way to add them to my itunes playlist while the CD is in, then remove them when its not? For now, I've just been copying them to my hard drive by dragging the CD to itunes.

if youre not pressed for space, its best to just use them off your hard drive. then theyll always be there. but if you want, go to iTunes >> Preferences >> Advanced ... unclick the "Copy FIles to iTunes Music Folder" .. then the path to the file will point to the file on the CD ... but this means you can only listen to those songs while that CD is in your computer.

OP
M

Mac Apple

When import mp3s over from a cd I simply open up the cd so the files are shown in a window. Then I open iTunes and i simple select the mp3s, then press CTRL + Left Click on the selected files and then go to open with in the drop down menu. Then select iTunes. It will import all the mp3s to your iTunes library and you never have to worry about the cd aqain.

Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.