Changing folder image

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook; G4; 1.07 GHz; 512 MB; 30 gig; Combo Drive; Radeon 9200
I tried changing the image of a folder as outlined at Mac101 but to no avail. The instructions can be found here:

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/customize/6/

When I go to the image that I want to use, I will go to the info of the file but the icon at the top left corner is not the image that I want. Basically, I want to use the image that is in the preview as the image for my folder(s). I hope that makes sense... I know it is something silly but its something basic that I'd like to know how to do. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Just recapping another how to do it here, try it and get back to us if it doesn't work:

1) Select image file you want to use.
2) Immediately hit Command+C to copy the image (no need to get info)
3) Select folder you want to paste the image onto.
4) Command+I to get info window for folder
5) Select current icon preview in top left corner of info window by clicking it once.
6) Hit Command+V to paste new image to folder.

(You may need to restart finder or log out to see certain changes such as the Dock or the sidebar).

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did not work... Instead of copying said image it copied over the default picture icon (Preview app icon on a blank page). Look similar to this:

previewexample.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
Try Pixadex. You should be able to drag the image in. Then you select it and go to File - Set as Custom Icon. Now you find the folder/app you want to change, highlight it and hit Set Icon.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
anything that I could possibly be doing wrong? I followed all instructions exactly as stated lol. I'll give Pixadex a try, thanks mike!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Third party is cool... but I should be able to do it w/o the help of third-party...

[edit]I went to Pixadex and Candybar...both you have to buy. I'm really trying to stay away from that.[/edit]

S

sursuciofla

Yup, I know the feeling and totally agree but I finally gave up after a while of trying to figure it out!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I'm not the only one? Hmmm... Well its gotta be do-able because if apple is putting it on their website, nonetheless the 101 section, it should be very easy to do. I feel like such a n00b

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
msb86 said:
I went to Pixadex and Candybar...both you have to buy. I'm really trying to stay away from that.
You should be able to do it with pixadex without having to pay for it. I think there are extra features you can use when you pay for it. I have been using it for a long time without needing to register.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll try to play around with it; maybe make up some icons. But this thing is still bothering me. Does anybodoy know how to set the icon(s) for pictures(s) to actually be the preview for the picture? I think that may be a resolution for my problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
msb86 said:
Does anybodoy know how to set the icon(s) for pictures(s) to actually be the preview for the picture? I think that may be a resolution for my problem
In Finder, go to the View menu and select 'Show View Options' (or hit command + j). Then check the 'Show icon preview' option

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks...

I did find a resolution to this problem. If I actually open the file copy the image, then paste it into the Get Info screen of the icon it works. Thanks for all of your help guys!!!!

Reaction score
Changing folder image to image of your choice

There are few things that were missed on the posts that I read. I'll go step by step on how I just did it.

1)Open up image you want the folder to be in preview.
2)you can marquis-select the image by dragging out the dotted-line box from top-left corner to bottom right (click and drag); this also works if you just want to highlight a piece of the image to use
3)Command-C to copy
4)Highlight the folder you want to change and right-click to Get Info.
5)In the top of the box there is a tiny folder icon; click on it and press Command-V to paste.

The other instructions that I read just said to "Select the image and Command-C" but if you follow that to the letter, it doesn't work. This way I know works 100%. Thanks!

Reaction score
How To Change A Folders Picture

How To Change A Folders Picture

I finally got this to work and I just wanted to reiterate a few things others have said.

1. You must open the image you are going to use for your new folder icon, and by open it.. double click on it.

2. Now go to edit and click on copy... command C didn't do it... don't ask me why.

3. Now click on the folder you want to change the image on, command I it, then click once on the image in the top left hand corner and command V.

4. The key here is that the image must be opened up and then copied. In so many forums people were telling me to just click on the image and command C it.... this as you know is crap info....

Hope this helps clear up a very important issue... ****, now my movie folder can look like a movie folder and not a POS...
Good Luck

Reaction score
Why you can't just com-c in Preview...

Because even when the window is selected, you haven't actually selected anything to copy to the clipboard, which is why I brought up marquis-selecting the parts (or all) of the image. You can have your web browser window selected but can't copy text without selecting it either. Preview is a tad more sophisticated than view-only image programs so it needs a little more instruction than "yeah, just all of this." The grey area actually represents a transparency in the image for an image formed with different opacities and layers. Hope that helps!

Reaction score
Changing Folder Image

Hello all,

I followed 'Erick the Great's' instructions for changing the folder icon and it worked a treat. I was just wondering whether this can be done 'batch' style. I shall explain, I have a music folder with lots of album sub-folders. I would like an image within each of these sub-folders (the cover of the album) to be that folder's thumbnail i.e. I can see the album cover of the album as a thumbnail on the folder. I don't really want to follow the previous instructions for each folder when I have 100's of them! Is there a way to automate Finder to use the image named 'folder.jpeg' within the folder to set as it's thumbnail?

Any thoughts and recommendations gratefully received!

Reaction score
Folder Icon problem

Thank you so much. I have been trying to get answers for this for 6 months. The old way of selecting the preview icon and pasting where you want it worked until I upgraded OS. Thanks for the solution. (The older way works on anything that was not added to my computer before the upgrade. Strange.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.