finally got a new mac

S

supenguin

What a great weekend! I finally got a new Mac after wanting one since OS/X first came out. Talk about a LONG wait! Anyway, a little info - I'm a Linux geek, my wife is a graphic designer. OS/X is the perfect OS for us - I get to do my Unix-type stuff and she can do her stuff.

I had been planning on saving up for a 15" Powerbook, but Friday we got a flyer from Microcenter. Ibook 900 mhz g3 with combo drive for $799. On top of that you get a $100 rebate if you sign up for a Microcenter credit card and put the ibook on it. Sign up for the CC, pay it off right away, close the account after getting the rebate. Sounds good :) Oh yeah, the ad said it had a 40 GB drive, turned out it was 60. Also, I didn't realize it came with Airport Extreme built in and 10.2.4 installed, but it came with Panther on CD. As you can tell, I'm very happy with the deal. I don't think you can even get this model ibook for that price on ebay.

Wow, this post has ended up being a little long. I have a couple questions, but I'll put that in a seperate thread to give your eyes a break!

Just gotta say this... This is actually my second Mac. My first was a Perfoma 6200CD I bought off a college buddy for $50 back in 2000. Its running 7.5.5. Quite a difference between the ibook and the performa!

OP
S

supenguin

Mistake to my advantage

OK, went back to Microcenter to get a stick of 512 MB of RAM and also the adaptor so I can hook the new ibook up to the TV... I ended up talking to the sales guy there, and he said the $799 - $100 rebate deal was supposed to be on the 900 mhz with 128 MB of RAM and 40 GB hard drive. Apple shipped them the wrong ones! Even on their site, 256 MB of RAM and 40 GB is $949!

Also, the sales guy claimed that this thing has an Airport Extreme when the site lists regular Airport. How do you tell? I didn't see anything about "Extreme" on the Airport card when I upgraded the RAM. Would it say in the System Profiler?

Oh yeah, anyone in the Columbus, Ohio area may want to book it down to the Bethel Road Microcenter!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook Intel 2GHZ CD, 2GB RAM
supenguin said:
OK, went back to Microcenter to get a stick of 512 MB of RAM and also the adaptor so I can hook the new ibook up to the TV... I ended up talking to the sales guy there, and he said the $799 - $100 rebate deal was supposed to be on the 900 mhz with 128 MB of RAM and 40 GB hard drive. Apple shipped them the wrong ones! Even on their site, 256 MB of RAM and 40 GB is $949!

Also, the sales guy claimed that this thing has an Airport Extreme when the site lists regular Airport. How do you tell? I didn't see anything about "Extreme" on the Airport card when I upgraded the RAM. Would it say in the System Profiler?

Oh yeah, anyone in the Columbus, Ohio area may want to book it down to the Bethel Road Microcenter!

On the Aiprort card it would say Aiport Extreme. You still got a great deal on the whole package.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.