external harddrive or more memory- mulitiple machines

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac os 10
If you had to pick. would you all add a gig of memory or buy an external harddrive. Which would you do first? $ is the issue. Avoid the apple store?

I am an artist so it is all photoshop heavy with tons of images and dreamweaver files....not to mention the stinky kids Music.
Would and could an external harddrive also take care of the desktop IMAC and the wifes ibook??????

PowerBook G4 17"
Machine Model: PowerBook5,9
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.5)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.67 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.9.6f0
has one emtpy slot

Reaction score
brupaint said:
If you had to pick. would you all add a gig of memory or buy an external harddrive. Which would you do first? $ is the issue. Avoid the apple store?

I am an artist so it is all photoshop heavy with tons of images and dreamweaver files....not to mention the stinky kids Music.
Would and could an external harddrive also take care of the desktop IMAC and the wifes ibook??????

PowerBook G4 17"
Machine Model: PowerBook5,9
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.5)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.67 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.9.6f0
has one emtpy slot

My guess is I would put the $$ towards the biggest external HD I could afford. It would have both USB and FireWire ports plus an external power supply. You have 1 gig of ram which is better than 512mb but with your top end usage 2gig wouldn't go astray.

This is tricky.....I would still go for the exy HD, though and I can't see why it wouldn't cover both your computers.....depends on it's size.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
i would max out the RAM if I were you. you should see a substantial increase in performance when you make the jump from 1Gig to 2Gig.

and yes....avoid the apple store...VERY expensive....but dont go bargain basement either, or you may get stuck with bad RAM. You should have no trouble getting a 1GB stick for around 80 bucks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
i got mine from Crucial Memory (crucial.com). they arent the cheapest, but i couldnt justify sticking cheap RAM in my 2 grand macbook pro.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac os 10
I am with you on that..... while we are on the subject would you add ram to an old imac..,(the et looking model)...nice desktop but it needs something. At a certain point one starts to think the older model should just "let be." A case of good money thrown away ? It can get costly to upgrade from OS 2.3 ( or whatever) ,upgrade memory and perhaps the thing will die soon? Just your thoughts and advice...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.