[HELP] Going wireless...

F

FB Eye™

I need some info on how to make a small wireless network at home, the least expensive way possible.

To make a long story short, I'm moving my home office to a new room in my house. For some reason too long to explain here, I can't move the cable modem to the new office room. That's why I'm thinking of connecting the eMac through a wireless connection. Now, I have an eMac that is said to be Airport Extreme ready. From that point, I have no idea where to start as I know very little about all that wireless stuff.

I first looked at the Apple store and the Airport Extreme card for my eMac is not very expensive. So far so good. BUT, the Airport Extreme base is 250$ CDN way too expensive for my *very* limited budget.

My question is, what are the other possibilities here? I don't need anything fancy, no advanced features. I just want to hook up the eMac to the internet through the cable modem that's in the other room. Are there any non-Apple solutions that are less expensive? Any 3rd party cards and wireless routers that will work fine with the eMac?

Thanks!!!

OP
S

sursuciofla

You can buy a wireless router...A lot of people have Linksys and it is around $65-$70.

OP
S

sursuciofla

It is hard for me to explain how to set it up but I know somebody here will help you. I am just good at doing it rather than explaining. It is not hard to do though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
The Extreme Base Station that Apple sells is just a fancy router. You can purchase a wireless router, as others said, for around $60. It will work fine with an Airtport Extreme card installed in your eMac. They come with direction sheets, and are not that difficult to set up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.