iMac G5 (PPC) noise and speed issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5 (PPC)
Hey, I have an iMac G5 Power PC and whenever I am trying to do something like encode video or other tasks the iMac gets loud and everything seems to slow down. It also does this randomly when just working on Office or browsing the web with Safari.

I hear some fans kick on or something and my system slows down alot. Just wondering if anyone has had any similiar issues? is there anything you guys would suggest I do to help. I am somewhat new with macs I guess, I don't know how to reset the RAM or anything.

Thanks

Reaction score
May be due to the amount of ram (if only 512mb installed) + running multiple tasks....and I do stress the word may...

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5 (PPC)
Pulse-8 said:
May be due to the amount of ram (if only 512mb installed) + running multiple tasks....and I do stress the word may...

Hmmmm, yeah I only have 512 in right now.

I also noticed that everytime i reboot I have a folder in my trash called recovered files. you think it is related? or is that normal.

I think upgrading my RAM is probably a good idea anyways seeing as I do alot of video editing and such. Might try that

Reaction score
I recall when I first started using my iMac G5, there were also recoverd files in my trash occasionally...Can't remember what I did to cause them or stop them ...

Try repairing permissions...I recall too, that they were in a mess at the start...

I found this info on another forum:

Yes, you can feel free to empty your trash to get rid of them. It's a "bug" that used to exist in pre-OS X releases, but reared it's head again a little while ago. It's just some temporary files from that OS X is getting rid of upon reboot...you don't need them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.