Wierd Macbook HD thing

P

pbook24

so today my macbook HD started to act wierd. here are screenies that show what i mean. HD shows as 232gb and 209 free in menus. in system profiler it shows as 74gb with 209 free.***?btw ihve already had 2 replaced and if its messed up they probably wont do ti again lol.
screenshot01kb0.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
If you go into the terminal and type this what does it say: df -h

I am guessing it will report the same as the system profiler.

--lifeafter2am

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Hmm... maybe something wrong with the system profiler? Because the OS doesnt have a problem from the command line level. If i understand you correctly.

--lifeafter2am

OP
P

pbook24

any idea of what i should do? i mean its not a problem that really affects me but is 2 days old and it dosnt make sense for me to hve a problem already. and also the battery doesnt sit correctly, i realy dont want to have to get it echanged again. maybe i can push for a mbp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
All i can say is to reformat and reinstall the OS. I dont know what else to tell you. I know its not a system problem, or the command line would report it. You could always try the repairing permissions thing in the disk utility.

--lifeafter2am

OP
P

pbook24

well i verified disk and it said there was a miscount or w/e for blocks so i need to repair the volume which im doing now, ill see when its done. thing is when i tried to boot from cd i got that bad scrren with the pretty colored lines, then restarted with resertting pram and its ok.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Awesome man! Glad to help (kind of) :headphone.

--lifeafter2am

OP
P

pbook24

no you did help. i was freaking out before, but you calmed me down(kind of,lol)im good now. i just need to scrounge 100 bucks(105 actually,including shipping) for another gig or ram, 140 if i decide to go all out for crucial. is it bad to mix ram brands?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Eh, 50/50. Depends on who you talk to. I don't like too, especially because on the MB and the MBP you have dual channel options. But you really need like exactly the same RAM for dual channel to work, afaik. If your not worried about the dual channel, then I wouldn't worry about mixing the sticks.

--lifeafter2am

OP
P

pbook24

well i want dual channel, so ill go for the g.skill again, no problems so far. looks like i may get 475 dollars tonight for some camera gear,so i may be getting te ram and a 60gb 7200rpm drive! i dont need a lot of space, but i want speed. i may end up wth an 80gig thug

OP
P

pbook24

just configured on newegg, and it turns out that the 80gig and g.skill ram is 10 bucks cheaper than the 60gig and crucial, so its good!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.