Adium + Growl = sad

J

jose_v

I've made the complete switch from ichat to adium and have been spending a considerable amount of time trying to see what the deal is but can't figure out why adium isn't notifying the same way that ichat so lovingly did. Any ideas, comments, overall help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Wait what part dont' you like? The sound? The sound can be changed under notifications in the adium preferences, you can have adium sounds, aim sounds, or ichat sounds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
yea what you mean by "notifying"?
-chris

Reaction score
Msn, iChat and Adium all notify of a new message by playing a sound....Adium can be modified to play another sound as PowerBookG4 said.....

I'm wondering where exactly in the equation, is Growl responsible for your sadness...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
a popup notification that you have an IM
-chris

OP
J

jose_v

The growl part of the sadness comes in the lack thereof. Growl has a pop-up notification whenever someone comes online, offline etc. using IChat and I see that Adium is supported by Growl but don't actually see any of those pop-ups which I became really used to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
you have to set it up for that to happen for each person. You can right click on a name on your buddy list, click on get info, then click on events, and then you can choose how you are notified when they sign on, sign off, go idle, come back from idle, away messages, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
you use the dock for adium, i think it would be annoying having growl notify you every time yuou get an im.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
I have adium growl to pop up first IM and background IM. I love it :D very useful... especially if i don't want to click on adium and/or its a dumb message and i don't want to reply..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
you don't have to set it up for individual people. It's under events in preferences on adium. Under each event you add a new thing and select growl notification.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
I just recently made the switch to AdiumX and being newer to macs I didn't know how to change the sounds either, thanks

NO MORE DUCK! Man that thing was pissing me off, so annoying.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.