PowerBook keeps changing channels!

Reaction score
I'm trying to solve a dilemma.... I have a setup in my apartment consisting of a 20' core duo iMac, and two 12' G4 Powerbooks, all "linked" together via an Airport, and all sharing a single HP printer. Everything works flawlessly, with one exception:
Several weeks ago my wife was complaining that she could not print from the 12' G4 that is hers. I checked and was able to print from my G4 as well as the iMac. So I checked her G4, and discovered that it was not on our Apple Network, but was showing that it was connected to something called "NETGEAR." I clicked on the Apple Network listing and switched her back. I have no clue what NETGEAR is, nor how hers got switched. Anyhow, I checked my G4 and noticed that I had NETGEAR as an option as well, but mine was still on Apple Network.
Yesterday my wife wanted to transfer a photo that she'd been working on to me so I could view it, but was unable to connect to my G4 or the iMac via the network. Sure enough, her G4 was back on NETGEAR. She switched it back and all worked as it should.
My assumption is that NETGEAR is a wireless setup existing in one of the surrounding apartments and we are just picking up their signal. How she is able to use the net through thie NETGEAR I have no clue, nor do I understand why hers keeps switching to it.
Is there some way to make sure that her G4 always defaults to our Apple Network and ignores the others? Interestingly enough, her G4 is showing several other Networks, while mine (which is now 18' away from hers at the moment) is only showing our wireless network and that NETGEAR. I have our wireless network secured, so I'm reasonably certain nobody is using ours, but we certainly don't want to be using anyone elses either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
Try this:
Open up prefrences -> Network -> Airport -> then select by Default join 'perferred networks' then delete any network you don't want to join. Then go to Options and customize it. I set mine to 'ask before joining an open network' and deselected everything else..

OP
roewert
Reaction score
iWonder said:
Try this:
Open up prefrences -> Network -> Airport -> then select by Default join 'perferred networks' then delete any network you don't want to join. Then go to Options and customize it. I set mine to 'ask before joining an open network' and deselected everything else..

Thank you very much! I've made those changes on her G4. I guess that's one of the "problems"with Apple... everything works so well that I don't often think of tweaking the settings! When I set up the Airport wireless here everything just worked! :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
If you have not already, you want to encrypt your wireless network and perhaps add MAC address filtering to secure YOUR network. The person with the NETGEAR network certainly has not and is only asking for trouble.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
roewert said:
I have our wireless network secured, so I'm reasonably certain nobody is using ours
yeah...

OP
roewert
Reaction score
Erudite.Warrior said:
If you have not already, you want to encrypt your wireless network and perhaps add MAC address filtering to secure YOUR network. The person with the NETGEAR network certainly has not and is only asking for trouble.

Well, I'm certainly no expert in these matters, but I've got all the security options that I know of turned on. I had a friend bring his PowerBook over, and while it certainly detected my network, he was not able to access it.
Any helpful information you can pass on would be greatly appreciated. I'm still learning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
roewert said:
Very helpful comment! Thank you! Care to elaborate?

was just telling E-Warrior that you already have security on..

Reaction score
roewert said:
Well, I'm certainly no expert in these matters, but I've got all the security options that I know of turned on. I had a friend bring his PowerBook over, and while it certainly detected my network, he was not able to access it.
Any helpful information you can pass on would be greatly appreciated. I'm still learning.

Found this about encrypting the network:

http://www.atpm.com/8.04/wifi.shtml

and this about adding MAC address:

http://www.download.com/1200-2023_4-5162406.html

Hope it helps you....

OP
roewert
Reaction score
Pulse-8 said:
Found this about encrypting the network:

http://www.atpm.com/8.04/wifi.shtml

and this about adding MAC address:

http://www.download.com/1200-2023_4-5162406.html

Hope it helps you....

Thank you very much! Looks like I had everything set up properly based on what I've read. About the only thing I can's seem to figure out at this point is why, when I have my iMac set to join "preferred networks," as stated above, neither of my G4 Powerbooks can access the iMac, yet the iMac can access the two G4s, and they're both set the same way. If I change the iMac to "automatic" then the two G4s pick it up just fine.
I'm still playing with it though.
Thanks for everyone's input so far!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
is your iMac set to 'personal file sharing' in sharing?

OP
roewert
Reaction score
iWonder said:
is your iMac set to 'personal file sharing' in sharing?

Yes, it is. I made sure that all three of my Macs are set identically.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.