How loud is the Mac Pro

Reaction score
I too am having humming noises from my Mac Pro, caused by the spinning hard drive. It's rather annoying to me :( I kind of expected this machine to be a little better in the design department, you know what I mean? Maybe rubber washers or something like that to help silence the drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
Metal is always a pain for noise, you do have to slide the bays around a bit to get them quiet. The optical drive bay is the worst.

I'm off to buy a new 2nd drive today as I have a Seagate that hums really loudly every 2 seconds.

The only way to stop noise is to fit a zalman cooler that fits in a 5.25 inch bay. It has rubber mounting blocks that dampen the sound, plus heatpipes and side heatsinks to stop the noise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro - Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon "Woodcrest" processors - OS X Leopard
My noise has completely stopped. I loosened the screws just a tiny bit after fitting rubber from a skipping rope in between the screws and the hard drive chassis. This fixed it 100%, and cost practically nothing except for a few minutes of my time. O:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.