Windows remote desktop connection in OSX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
Hey guys, I'm really interested in getting a 12" G4 PowerBook now, but the only thing holding me back is one major problem. I use my laptop a lot to remotely access my servers at work through Windows remote desktop connection, but I wasn't sure if there was a program that allowed you to do this in OSX, other than running Parallels and running Windows XP, then accessing it. Does anyone know of any sort of utility that will allow you to access Windows RDC in OSX 10.4?

If not, how fast does Parallels run on a PowerBook G4 (867MHz/1GHz) for using Windows XP? I don't really want to use it if it lags way too much. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Parallels won't run at all - it requires an intel based mac.

Why do you want the old 12" powerbook? I'd go for the 13" macbook - you'll be able to run windows xp in parallels extremely fast.

Alternatively there are a number of VNC clients you can use with a powerpc based mac as well, including microsoft's own Remote access client for OS X.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downlo...ate_103.xml&secid=80&ssid=10&flgnosysreq=True

Wow, thanks for the info Aptmunich, I didn't even think Microsoft would have made a remote desktop client for OSX compatible with PowerPC, but it does exist. I'll have to install this on one of my G4s and give it a try.

The reason I want the 12" PowerBook is because I can get a good deal on it on eBay. I figure if I went with the 867MHz or 1GHz model I can probably get one for $500-600 and just max out the RAM and put in a Seagate 7200RPM drive. The MacBook is going to run me $1050, plus it is larger than the 12" PowerBook. I would go with a MacBook Pro, but they don't come in models smaller than 15", and my CEO at work has one I set up for him and it is a tad to large for my liking. It was one **** of a machine for the money, though, I have to admit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Ah gotcha...

Well the intel based macs are definitely easier if you really ever have to use some sort of local windows apps...
But if you remote log in that should work fine too :)

Reaction score
just wanted to chime in. have intel based mac 17" with 2 gigs memory. the parallels solution is a pita and not that fast.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.