iPod formatting itself?

P

parranormal

Hi, ive had my 60gig iPod video for about 3 months now and twice its just wiped all the music off itself. Now the first time, i just had it plugged in, put some podcasts on then removed it (via safe remove) but i had the mp3s on my hard drive so i thought no big deal ill jut put them back on. However the second time it was on charge and i grabbed it in the morning but when i got to the train station and went to listen to it there was no songs on there and they where only on the iPod (no backups on my hdd). So i put YamiPod on there and was about to do the "recover lost music" (something along those lines) when i noticed that all the music was still in the hidden folder "ipod_control" and then "music" i thought this was a little strange. So my question was, is there anything im doing do make this happen? is there something i can do to prevent this? its a windows formatted ipod

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I would try restoring the iPod to factory settings using iTunes 7, then make sure you either have the music you want to add to the iPod in your iTunes library, or you have the iPod set to manual snyc.

If the music isn't on your harddrive, the iPod will be deleted if it is set to the default auto-snyc mode. But the fact that it is still on there makes me think that perhaps the iPod itself as become buggy - something that restoring the firmware usually cures.

OP
P

parranormal

I see. It is set to manual sync (i use it with a few different pc's) so that isnt the reason it is doing it. I will try restoring the firmware. If not ill just take it back and get it replaced under my apple care. Thanks for the help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.