More than 2TB possible in a Mac Pro?

Reaction score
So I was at Fry's today to pick up another DVI cable so I can hook my PB to one of my LCD's, and I saw that there was a sale on Seagate 750GB 16 meg cache SATA II drives, for something like $309 or so, which is a pretty decent deal.

But, now that we're seeing 750GB drives I wonder if one could fill all four bays with them.............if one were so inclined. Or is there some sort of software limitation?

Imagine a 3.0 Gig, 3 Terabyte Mac Pro..... :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Some guys at barefeats managed to do it with some success. Here is the article.

OP
S
Reaction score
novicew said:
Some guys at barefeet managed to do it with some success. Here is the article.

Yes, that's quite strange. I wouldn't necessarily try to run them in RAID-0 as this guy is doing, though.

What completely startled me was, in the "perfect Mac Pro setup" he said was to boot from a Maxtor 300 Gig RAID 0 set, and another set of Maxtor 500 gigs ALSO in RAID-0 for user files. He also mentioned not using any external enclosures.

Umm, my idea of data security is not running two RAID-0 sets on my computer. That's like playing Russian Roulette. And Maxtor RAID sets to boot..... yeah right. One Maxtor is bad enough, let alone four in two RAID-0 configurations.

:yinyang:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, Dual Proc 2.6GHz
Scroatdog said:
...One Maxtor is bad enough, let alone four in two RAID-0 configurations.

LOL so true.

But seriously, would any one want to run multiple RAIDs on internal drives with out a true RAID controller? I don't know if I want my OS botting off a RAID either.

OP
S
Reaction score
Exactly..... I'm talking about a no-RAID, 4 750GB hard drives crammed in there for 3TB. I am still wondering if there is an operating system limitation that wouln't allow you to cram 3TB in there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
There shouldn't be any OS limitation as I know there shouldn't be a hardware one. Does OSX support JBOD (just a bunch of disks)? This makes all the physical drives one logical drive without doing RAID0 and sacrificing your data. If not I guess you'll be forced to have 4 different 750GB drives unless you want to run RAID0, which I certainly do not recommend with 4 drives. The more drives you add to a RAID0 array, the more you risk in your array going kapoot...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I never heard of JBOD. Is that a real technology?

OP
S
Reaction score
No, I would NEVER run a RAID-0 array again. Just too risky. If anything, I'd set up RAID-5 with three 750's and then another 500 for the main drive. Or maybe 4 750's in RAID-5. Who knows.

But 3 or 4 in JBOD wouldn't be bad either.

But yeah, JBOD stand for "Just a Bunch of Disks". Seriously. When implemented, it looks like one massive drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
I don't think OSX supports RAID5, so you are stuck with either RAID1 or RAID0, neither of which make total sense in this situation...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.