NUS Apple Discount (UK)

B

Bluewolf

Egad, I have switched too soon! I could have saved myself some money and hassel by buying a UK PowerBook.

I just recieved a message from the NUS that NUS members are being offered a 14%* discount on Apple products.
*Conditions and restrictions apply

However I feel that I could probably still be able to benefit from this promotional discount as I am looking for software for my PowerBook. My MS Office X free trial has ended thus leaving me without a good word processing product.

Before I leap right in and buy MS Office X are there any competiting products? As I am new to the whole Apple world I have little knowledge of any Mac only products that may or may not be superior.

As much as I find the whole anti-MS very appealing, and highly amusing, I would like serious evalutations of the competiting software verus MS Office X please. I dont think I can buy a product based on the sole factor that it isn't MS.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Ack! I just forgot I am on the Internet without anti-virus software. Could someone please recomend a good anti-virus program for Macs and OS X. Quickly though as I can feel my PowerBook getting tainted by the Internet!

OP
H

hokiethang

Bluewolf said:
Edit: Ack! I just forgot I am on the Internet without anti-virus software. Could someone please recomend a good anti-virus program for Macs and OS X. Quickly though as I can feel my PowerBook getting tainted by the Internet!

I wouldnt worry about it. As long as you dont surf the internet as root, you will be fine.

OP
S

StarManta

Bluewolf said:
My MS Office X free trial has ended thus leaving me without a good word processing product.

Before I leap right in and buy MS Office X are there any competiting products? As I am new to the whole Apple world I have little knowledge of any Mac only products that may or may not be superior.

Have you given TextEdit a fair chance? It doesn't have all the advanced features Word has, but it does have everything 80% of the population (myself included) needs: formatting, spell checking, etc etc. Plus, it saves its files by default in a much more compatible and smaller format (rtf) and consumes far less resources.

If you do need more out of your word processor, also give <a href="http://openoffice.org">openoffice</a> a shot - it's free and open-source. There's also a port of the Linux office suite <a href="http://ranger.befunk.com/blog/archives/000291.html">KOffice</a> on its way over here. I'm not aware of any commercial office suites besides MSOffice - perhaps Appleworks?

If you're still at the point of needing to buy Office, and happen to know someone in college (or are in college yourself) the educational discounts on office are pretty insane - Word, Excel, and Powerpoint cost me $8 at my school.

And indeed, I wouldn't worry about virii on a Mac. Norton has an antivirus available I think, but it's pretty worthless because there simply aren't any virii to protect against.

OP
B

Bluewolf

StarManta said:
Have you given TextEdit a fair chance? It doesn't have all the advanced features Word has, but it does have everything 80% of the population (myself included) needs: formatting, spell checking, etc etc. Plus, it saves its files by default in a much more compatible and smaller format (rtf) and consumes far less resources.

If you do need more out of your word processor, also give <a href="http://openoffice.org">openoffice</a> a shot - it's free and open-source. There's also a port of the Linux office suite <a href="http://ranger.befunk.com/blog/archives/000291.html">KOffice</a> on its way over here. I'm not aware of any commercial office suites besides MSOffice - perhaps Appleworks?

If you're still at the point of needing to buy Office, and happen to know someone in college (or are in college yourself) the educational discounts on office are pretty insane - Word, Excel, and Powerpoint cost me $8 at my school.

I can see where I have crossed some wires in regards to terminology. Basically I need the whole office suite, which is more or less what MS Office provides; Word, Excel, PowerPoint and FrontPage.

TextEdit is fantastic as a word processer, however I need something more than just that. I need the full works, which is why I am trying to find competing prdoducts to MS. I do know that there StarOffice, but I am not sure of its compatibility with Mac OS X and whether or not the features in StarOffice are any good.

If there is such a thing as AppleWorks, has anyone used it, if so how does it compare to MS Office?

In regards to educational discounts how would one go about doing that? I am at University and of age as it were but would the companies require something more than that?

StarManta said:
And indeed, I wouldn't worry about virii on a Mac. Norton has an antivirus available I think, but it's pretty worthless because there simply aren't any virii to protect against.

I'll give Norton and the other big anti-virus companies a look. I was merely searching for a good Mac based product. And if all of them are of equal standing then I will probably go with Norton, as I have used that with my PC.

OP
H

hokiethang

Bluewolf said:
I can see where I have crossed some wires in regards to terminology. Basically I need the whole office suite, which is more or less what MS Office provides; Word, Excel, PowerPoint and FrontPage.

TextEdit is fantastic as a word processer, however I need something more than just that. I need the full works, which is why I am trying to find competing prdoducts to MS. I do know that there StarOffice, but I am not sure of its compatibility with Mac OS X and whether or not the features in StarOffice are any good.

If there is such a thing as AppleWorks, has anyone used it, if so how does it compare to MS Office?

In regards to educational discounts how would one go about doing that? I am at University and of age as it were but would the companies require something more than that?

I'll give Norton and the other big anti-virus companies a look. I was merely searching for a good Mac based product. And if all of them are of equal standing then I will probably go with Norton, as I have used that with my PC.

Like i said, you dont really need an anti-virus but if you must norton is probably the best. As for the educational discounts, the apple store has a link to an educational store (in the US) and it will ask you to choose your school and then forward you to the store. If you buy something, they apparently contact your university and they confirm that you are a student. Appleworks still exists, but i have never used it, but you probably can get a copy from your school cheaper than through the apple store. Star office wasnt that good when i used it, and if you dont mind some convolutedness Open Office is alright, i have used it in linux for a while.

OP
K

kaukaumooo

NUS discount

Does anyone on here know how long the discount period is going to be open for? Also, do you have to give your NUS number to qualify for the discount or do they just give it to you? I wondered if phone ordering was different to online with respect to that.... :confused:

OP
B

Bluewolf

kaukaumooo said:
Does anyone on here know how long the discount period is going to be open for? Also, do you have to give your NUS number to qualify for the discount or do they just give it to you? I wondered if phone ordering was different to online with respect to that.... :confused:

The promotion email for discount 14% was only available to those in the National Union of Students (NUS). However I think you may have needed the promotional email in order to qualify. As in there may have been a special code or web link on the email that would have activated the 14% discount.

And that promotion for Apple was quite a long time ago. The terms and conditions of the promotion may have been time sensitive and only open to those whom received the email from the NUS mailing list.

Yet its not all doom and gloom. Apple UK does have a permanent discount for students in higher education, and that is 10% Instead of logging onto the usual Apple UK store area you need to go to the education section and follow the links to the education store.

There you will need to fill in the University or recognised higher education school that you attend as well as the city or town its located in. This then allows you to shop in the education store. Before you go off and do that, make sure that you satisfy the qualifications.

Shopping Agreement

Can I Purchase?

By clicking “I accept” below, I confirm that I am:
• aged 18 or over
• a student with a valid student card or a teacher, lecturer, tutor or other supervisor of students at a UK education establishment
• I agree to Apple contacting me to check my status. I will provide proof of my status upon request and I agree Apple can refuse my order if I do not provide proof which is satisfactory for Apple. Apple’s decision will be final.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.