Firefox on Intel Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Hi - This is my first post.

I bought a an iBook for my wife only yesterday. 1.83ghz Core Duo, 1 gig of Ram etc. Anyway, yesterday we finished setting it up and she wanted to carry on using Firefox as she'd used that both on my Windows laptop and her previous G3 Mac.

I initially downloaded the latest full release of FF for Mac, version 1.5.0.2 I believe (which is supposed to be a Universal Binary). Whilst it worked fine, I noticed the scrolling was very slow and jerky, a lot slower than on my 2 and a half year old Windows machine, running an ageing A64.

So then I downloaded FF 2.0b which, although very slightly improved, was still luggish for such a fast machine.

Everythink else works perfectly, the machine is stupidly fast - but FF seems to crawl. Safari doesn't seem nearly as bad, but neither her nor I really like it.

If I was to jump to the dark side (Apple :spook: ) this scrolling issue would annoy me.

Is this something FF users just have to live with, or is there a workaround?

PS - As a Windows user, I am very impressed with OS X...

T

todd51

Well, if your not reliant on FF for all the plugins and ways to change the appearance, I would suggest trying Camino. I like it very much and use it for all my web browsing, it's nice and simple and seems faster than Safari for me. I use FF when I'm on a windows PC and I now use Camino on my Macs :mac:

OP
Zoolook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
todd51 said:
Well, if your not reliant on FF for all the plugins and ways to change the appearance, I would suggest trying Camino. I like it very much and use it for all my web browsing, it's nice and simple and seems faster than Safari for me. I use FF when I'm on a windows PC and I now use Camino on my Macs :mac:

Are there plugin issues with Camino? She listens to BBC radio on the internet (we're Brits living in New York) so Realplayer embedded i a must. Obviously QT will be ok.

I have to say, I've heard bad things about Camino, bugs etc, but I might check it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
FF can slow down due to certain extensions. I am using FF 1.5 on my Intel Mac and don't have any problem. Having said the, I would suggest you to try Camino if you want a simple but fast alternative for FF. There won't be any problem watching BBC on Camino. All you have to do is, install Real Player.

There are some plugins available for Camino but not as much as for FF. You can download them at PimpMyCamino.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Firefox isn't really a native mac (i.e. cocoa) application, I believe it's currently implemented in java somehow, similar to neooffice/j. (though I'm probably waaay off there :) I just know it isn't an optimal mac version yet).

They're planning a more mac native version for the future though, but for the time being Camino is a nice mozilla alternative.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
FireFox is smooth on my iMac G5 iSight. Very smooth page scrolling. I will try it on my Core Duo Mini in the morning and report back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
never had a problem with firefox, its much faster then safari in alot of aspects! and the awsome tabbing is the shiznit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Zoolook said:
Are there plugin issues with Camino? She listens to BBC radio on the internet (we're Brits living in New York) so Realplayer embedded i a must. Obviously QT will be ok.

I have to say, I've heard bad things about Camino, bugs etc, but I might check it out.

I've never had any problems with FireFox on my macbook, but I opt to use Camino anyway. BBC streams work fine with realplayer :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini, 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo, 512MB RAM, OS X 10.4.7
I use Firefox 2.0b2 on my 1.66GHz core duo, 512MB ram mac mini with no problems at all. It is fast and smooth. I think your problem must lie elsewhere?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
redmelons said:
I use Firefox 2.0b2 on my 1.66GHz core duo, 512MB ram mac mini with no problems at all. It is fast and smooth. I think your problem must lie elsewhere?

Ditto and it's smooth as can be. I normally use Safari on that machine, but tried Firefox Latest non beta version and it's smooth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
Firefox has always done that for me - on my new macbook and old iBook. I think it's just the way it is, with/without skins, plugins etc. I just accepted it, as it didn't bother me. I don't use Firefox all that much, only for deviantart browsing and message management.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
its fine on my intel powerbook

Reaction score
I use Opera as the main browser on my PC, although I use FireFox too.

Opera works fine on my MacBook - although I have not tried FireFox on it yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2ghz Core Duo 2gb Ram 160gb Hard Drive
Firefox funs fine for me. Do you have alot of stuff or plugin going at the same time?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.