Looking for ACDsee-like image viewer with specific feature

T

Tanuki

Hello, I just got my first mac (20in core2duo imac) this week and I'm slowly getting used to it.

I know there have been many threads about image viewers, but I am looking for one specific feature in an image viewer which I enjoyed on ACDsee; the ability to browse through images in the .zip or .rar files without decompressing.

I've tried many of the recommended image viewers and frankly I'm getting very frustrated with this issue. Can anyone out there help me please? I'm starting to doubt that this kind of app even exists for mac. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, MacBook Pro
ZIP JPG Viewing

(Sigh). This is exactly the question I was trying to answer by finding this forum - I'm still using WinXP/ACDSee inside Parallels for image browsing/management because I can't seem to view JPGs inside of ZIP files without manually decompressing them. What a PITA - I can't believe such a simple function doesn't exist. Graphics are where the Mac is supposed to be so much better than Windows! There's an old Mac version of ACDSee, but that seems to have been dropped a long time ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
(Sigh). What a PITA - I can't believe such a simple function doesn't exist. Graphics are where the Mac is supposed to be so much better than Windows! There's an old Mac version of ACDSee, but that seems to have been dropped a long time ago.

Don't blame Apple or the Mac for this short coming, blame the folks who write the Apps. Windows doesn't have this ability natively and ACDSee is a 3rd party App. In fact, blame ACDSee for dropping MacOS support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, MacBook Pro
Don't blame Apple or the Mac for this short coming, blame the folks who write the Apps. Windows doesn't have this ability natively and ACDSee is a 3rd party App. In fact, blame ACDSee for dropping MacOS support.

Fair enough, it isn't an "Apple" issue any more than it is a "Microsoft" one. But I still don't understand why so many 3rd party image apps for Windows support what seems like a simple and basic function, but so far as I can tell not a single 3rd party Mac developer has even considered it. Do Mac people never store files in ZIP (or another compression format) archives?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Do Mac people never store files in ZIP (or another compression format) archives?

To be honest with you, I never have. I just back up to DVDs/CDs without compression and then delete, or just delete what I don't want. Hard drive space being as cheap as it is these days, this is becoming less and less an issue. I've never had much use for Zip or Stuffit other than decompressing stuff I've downloaded.

I don't think compression for backups (or backups for that matter) is as big a deal in the Mac world since shy of a drive just dying you're not likely to have your OS crap out for any other reason. That and the fact that if you do have to reinstall the OS, it doesn't whack your whole partition and it just installs a new copy of the OS and leaves all your user data intact.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, MacBook Pro
Mac ZIP

To be honest with you, I never have. I just back up to DVDs/CDs without compression and then delete, or just delete what I don't want. Hard drive space being as cheap as it is these days, this is becoming less and less an issue. I've never had much use for Zip or Stuffit other than decompressing stuff I've downloaded.

As a switcher, my problem is that I have a large existing collection of images archived into ZIP files (many on read-only media), and continue to download ZIPped image archives regularly. I'm accustomed to being able to view all of them in-place. My new Mac Pro is able to open ZIP archives, so it doesn't seem like it'd stretch to get that little extra feature.

Reaction score
While it's not a dedicated image viewer, Stuffit Deluxe looks good:

Preview Image Thumbnails
Preview archived JPEG images within archives without having to decompress the data. Even better, StuffIt's multi-threading abilities won't interrupt your work while it renders tens, hundreds, or even thousands of compressed images!

http://www.stuffit.com/mac/deluxe/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.