macbook pro

Reaction score
hey i am thinking of getting a macbook pro but i'm not sure wich... i'm a slight gamer... so i'm not sure if i should get the 128mb gfx card or the 256 one.. and i would manually upgrade the memory and all... i'd prefer i THINK a 15" so i can carry it around ....

anyways what are your thoughts on choosing a macbook pro... i MIGHT also buy my brothers old one.

T

todd51

Yea the 15-inch is perfect for carrying around places, I think the 17 would be too big.

i'm a slight gamer... so i'm not sure if i should get the 128mb gfx card or the 256 one..

I guess that would all depend on what games you plan on playing on your MBP. If your playing newer games through Windows and you pay attention to high graphic detail, then I would definately say to get the 256, if your like me and don't play the newest games and don't mind the Medium settings on most games the 128 should be just fine.

OP
Q
Reaction score
What if i like playing the newest games ... but i don't care if it's on medium graphics compare to high... still 256? or 128 you think...? and how long do you think each would last... like year wise with the new games coming out... med9ium graphics not necesarilly high.. thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
I think if you are spending $2000 on a computer, it makes sense to spend a little extra and get what you really want. You wont regret getting 256, you could possibly be remoresful about only getting 128.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
lighthouse said:
hey i am thinking of getting a macbook pro but i'm not sure wich... i'm a slight gamer... so i'm not sure if i should get the 128mb gfx card or the 256 one.. and i would manually upgrade the memory and all... i'd prefer i THINK a 15" so i can carry it around ....

anyways what are your thoughts on choosing a macbook pro... i MIGHT also buy my brothers old one.

With 256 gfx card you are surely on the safe side.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
while I agree with the idea that it is best to error on the side of more power, my 128mb card does just dandy...

OP
Q
Reaction score
how much do you think the 128mb gfxz card will last years wise compared to the 256gfx card?? for games say at medium setting 12800x760 (whatever is above 800x600 it hink it's the 12800x760)

T

todd51

I would say from this point if your still worried about it, go with the 256. Like some others said, if your going to spend this much money on a laptop, get what you'll be mostly satisfied with and not what you may regret.

OP
Q
Reaction score
well i only play multiplayer games these days... besides wanting to play company of heroes and probably command and conquer 3... So i don't need a lot of strength... so paying 500 extra and paying close to 3000 (with applecare protection) compard to 2500 (if i upgrade the low 2000 one to what i want) is a big differnce.. i am a college student as wells o that's why im worried about money... but i mean if ut2004,css,dod:s and (if battlefield 2142 and ut2007 ) works on the 128mb gfx version and that lasts until my end of college days with people/content.. im happy... i don't really play games anymore besides simply lego star wars 1/2 games anymore and maybe baludr's gate icewind dales... i've started to only enjoy playing WITH people so that's why i'm going back and forth between 128 and 256...

T

todd51

Maybe get the 128, wait for the MBP to arrive, and max out the ram with 3rd party ram so that it's cheaper? Will that help the performance run any smoother?

I would probably stick with the 128, max out the ram, and if I was still worried about it, up the processor speed a notch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
There will always be new games coming out that will be more demanding technically. If you intend on playing games, plan ahead. Always get more than you think you need, because in 6 months, it wont be enough. I really dont reccommend Macs for games. I have one game for my iBook, WarCraft III. I play it regularly, and while Im not the first to load, the game runs perfectly everytime. I only have a 32mb video card. However, Blizzard is a very good developer, who optimizes their games for Apple computers.

Reaction score
The 128mb will get you medium to high settings on most modern games. Although some like BF2, or Quake 4 you may have to tone it down slightly. Other games like Call of Duty 2 will play at full everything as long as you have at least 1GB memory.
Now thats today. In 3 months and 6 months as the next generation of games come out, you will probably see a need for lowering graphics to medium levels. And in a year or two you will be playing closer to the lower levels.
The 128mb might last you up to three years playing modern high graphics games, but by the end of it, you will start to experience low frame rates even at the lowest levels.

So, if you want to play modern games at good frames per second through college, get the 256. Or if you are like me, you will get the 128, and enjoy the modern games while you can, and in a year or two, once you arnt top of the line, you will go back to playing starcraft. It never gets old.
I would say if you are not a hardcore gamer, you may regret not getting the 256, but you could save your money for things more important to you, because if you really were a gamer, you wouldn'y be getting a laptop anyways.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.