"No Bootable Device" - Retail XP with S2

N

NoBootableDevic

Greetings from a new MBP user.

Has anybody figured out yet how to overcome the following problem with installing Windows XP from a brand new out of the ugly blue box from the store gaudily sparkling Windows XP with SP2 disk:

When I click the icon in bootcamp to install windows, after a bit of activity the screen goes black and the error "No Bootable Device Insert Book Disk Press Any Key to Continue" appears on the screen.

I can get back to OSX, but I can't install windows.

It may be of interest to know that I can't get the windows CD to spin up unless in the system preferences, startupdisk I lock to prevent changes.

Otherwise the disk gets spits out by the computer.

If the disk is already in the drive and has spun up, when I get back to OSX after the black screen, the startupdisk options have been changed (by bootcamp?) and reflect that the Windows disk should be used to boot and it has been unlocked. The disk is recognized fine at that point.

But if I switch the startup disk to OSX and don't lock, the disk gets spit out.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2GHz | 1GB RAM | 256MB VRAM | Mac OS X 10.4.7
try reseating the battery. had the same problem and got it working by reseating the battery

OP
N

NoBootableDevic

SurferDude said:
try reseating the battery. had the same problem and got it working by reseating the battery

I reseat the battery by taking it out and putting it back in correct?

Didn't work.

Maybe I need to try it a few times to get it seated properly?

OP
N

NoBootableDevic

NoBootableDevic said:
I reseat the battery by taking it out and putting it back in correct?

Didn't work.

Maybe I need to try it a few times to get it seated properly?

Nope. Again no joy.
I'm going to try callibrating the battery since that's another pretty easy measure. I have no idea why that would do anything but wth.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.