Issues in XP w/games, Airport on Mac Pro w/ X1900

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz; 6GB RAM (4x512/4x1GB), 1.5TB HD (3xHDDs), ATI XT1900, built-in Bluetooth/Airport
This is my first post here, so hello everyone. :)

I'm having problems getting games to run under XP on my Mac Pro 2.66GHz. I've posted these comments to another forum, but haven't gotten any help. To save some time, I'll quote what I have posted over on the other forum. Hopefully someone here can help me out. Thanks in advance.

Just got my Mac Pro a few days ago and yesterday I installed Windows XP Home Edition, downloaded all the updates and security patches and peripheral drivers (Logitech cordless trackball, Epson scanner, Epson printer) plus I down loaded the latest drivers and control panel from ATI for the X1900 card. I also installed all the drivers from the Boot Camp CD I burned.

The first issue is that the eject key on my keyboard (Apple Wireless Bluetooth) does not work at all. Secondly, Windows cannot find my wireless Airport network when it scans for it.

Lastly, I installed one of the 5 PC games I bought for this machine, Ubisoft's Rugby Challenge 2006. I've configured the game for every compatible resolution it has listed, yet when I run it, I get the spinning DVD Icon, then the screen goes black like it's about to launch, but then it just quits back to the desktop. I checked the ubi UK site for any game patches, but I couldn't find any.

I'm positive the .NET 2.0 was installed either before or as part of the Catalyst installation. I'll take your suggestion of burning a new drivers disc in Boot Camp, I'm using the 1.1.1 beta. That is the latest, isn't it?

BTW, I should also mention that I'm not using a traditional computer monitor. I have the Mac Pro attached to a Samsung HLN437W DLP 720p television over DVI. It shows up in the Microsoft control panel and the ATI Catalyst panel as Samsung dlp.

Okay, I burned a new drivers disc in Boot Camp 1.1.1 beta. When I try to instll the drivers in XP, I get an error saying it can't find the directory or something like that. I tried restarting and doing it again, but it's always the same error. I'm at a total loss.

I did manage to get the first game I posted about running, Rugby Challenge 2006, but EA Sports Rugby 06 and F.E.A.R. refuse to run. They both keeping dropping back to the desktop.

I did in fact get Ubisoft Rugby Challenge 2006 to run briefly, and it was working fine. When I quit, shutdown Windows, and restarted it again, the game just went back to quitting back to the desktop on launch. I am totally perplexed at this point. I didn't make any changes either.

Eventually, I decided to just do a clean install of Windows XP and try again, so that's what I did last night. I made a clean Mac Drivers disc in Boot Camp 1.1.1 beta and relaunched the installer. I did a reformat (the long form, not quick) on the 130GB NTFS partition where the previous installation was and reinstalled. Then I installed the Mac drivers and restarted. Then I went through the half-million or so Windows security updates and software updates, including .NET 2.0. After all of that, and only after all of that, I installed the ATI Catalyst control panel and drivers. The end result was, the games still won't launch.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I also still cannot get the eject key to work on my Apple Wireless Bluetooth keyboard or get Windows to find my Airport wireless network.

So am I. I have decided to try reinstalling Windows with a customized installation disc as desribed on www.macprojournal.com/xp.html and see if that works.

tried the new installation, it still didn't work. I think I'm going to throw in the towel. I don't know what else to do.

And that is basically where I am at the moment. I hope it's not too hard to follow just my side of the thread from the other forum.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz; 6GB RAM (4x512/4x1GB), 1.5TB HD (3xHDDs), ATI XT1900, built-in Bluetooth/Airport
So, no ideas from anyone as to what could be wrong?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Doing some research. Will get back to you if I find anything. i do know that Bootcamp did have some issues on the Mac Pro, but 1.1.1 did fix most of them.

Edit: The Eject key works perfectally here on my Core Duo Mini under Windows. I don't have the Wireless keyboard but it should work the same. Only thing I can think of is it's something in the Bluetooth that might be causing that key not to work.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dtravis7 said:
Doing some research. Will get back to you if I find anything. i do know that Bootcamp did have some issues on the Mac Pro, but 1.1.1 did fix most of them.

Edit: The Eject key works perfectally here on my Core Duo Mini under Windows. I don't have the Wireless keyboard but it should work the same. Only thing I can think of is it's something in the Bluetooth that might be causing that key not to work.

Thanks. I look forward to see what you might come up with. I've been searching all over the internet and I can't find a solution.

RE: Eject button

I know there are problems with weak BT signals on the Mac Pros, which mine suffered from as well. I wonder if that could be the issue? But, then again, I tried it with a MacAlly USB keyboard and the eject button doesn't work on that either, so....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I wonder on the MacAlly if the keys are mapped differently? I have an MacAlly on my modded G4 tower and had to install an OSX driver to get all the keys to work properly. Will keep checking around.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dtravis7 said:
I wonder on the MacAlly if the keys are mapped differently? I have an MacAlly on my modded G4 tower and had to install an OSX driver to get all the keys to work properly.

Oh, I don't know. I didn't have to install any special drivers to get it to work on my Dual G5 or the Mac Pro, but I did have to calibrate it. Also, I noticed the other day when I was using it and switched log-ins I had to calibrate it for the other user account.

Will keep checking around.
Thanks. :)

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I installed XP pro/Sp2 on my Mac Pro and not only are the games doing the same thing when I try to launch them, but I cannot connect to the Internet at all. It's saying 'Network Adapter Unplugged' or something for both of my Ethernet ports.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still no solution here for any of the problems. I give up. Maybe I just have to wait for the next version of Boot Camp and hope that it works.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I got the ethernet to work (it was a boneheaded problem on my side), but games are still a no go. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
mmm, usually if a game is crashing to desktop before really starting it is vid card / driver related
try an older driver version?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.