Cars Doesn't Install

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air, 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB
Hey guys,

I bought Pixar's Cars, the one for PC/Mac DVD ROM only, but strangely enough I cannot install it. Upon sticking the CD in the drive, I get the 'install Cars' window, but when I double-click the icon as per game instructions (I mean... how hard can it be?!) nothing happens. Does any of you have this game? How do I get it to work? It works on another PC here at home but the point of buying it for the Mac was... ehrm... to play it on it??? Thanks!

K

kPkPkP

re: Cars won't install

Of added detail - mine is a "special edition" (2 dicsc) from Target. I get the "Install Cars" icon when I insert the disc, I double click it and see an hour glass briefly, with an IS (Install Shield?) icon bouncing on the Dock, and then nothing happens and the Dock icon goes away.

I'm on an eMac.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, kPkPkP. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Here are the system requirements for Cars.

Stephanella, from the Macs Specs listed under your member name, I can tell you right away your iBook G4 1.07 GHz doesn't make the requirements. kPkPkP, you haven't listed your eMac's specs so take a look at the requirements, the answer why the game refuses to install could be there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 PowerBook 15", 1.67GHz PowerPC G4, 1GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9700, 8x SuperDrive
Similar installation problem

I purchased Cars the video game for my son for Christmas, and when I click on the installer icon, the DVD whirrs a minute, but nothing happens. This sounds similar to (or exactly like) the problem that started this thread.

I checked the system requirements for the game, and they seem to meet all the required specifications:

I have a Powerbook laptop purchased in 2006
1.67GHz PowerPC G4
512MB PC2700 (333MHz) DDR SDRAM, single SO-DIMM
1 GB Total RAM Memory
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 128MB of DDR SDRAM and dual-link DVI
8x SuperDrive DVD±RW/CD-RW

When I insert the DVD, the installer icon appears ("IS" icon) but nothing happens when I double click on it. Nothing at all... DVD drive spins a bit, but no error message, no system crash, no new window appears, no instructions, nothing at all... then eventually the DVD drive stops spinning and all is done.

Does anyone have any ideas? I hope / think that my Macintosh will support this game, but am not sure why it won't install.

Thank you!!

Reaction score
I purchased Cars the video game for my son for Christmas, and when I click on the installer icon, the DVD whirrs a minute, but nothing happens. This sounds similar to (or exactly like) the problem that started this thread.

I checked the system requirements for the game, and they seem to meet all the required specifications:

I have a Powerbook laptop purchased in 2006
1.67GHz PowerPC G4
512MB PC2700 (333MHz) DDR SDRAM, single SO-DIMM
1 GB Total RAM Memory
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 128MB of DDR SDRAM and dual-link DVI
8x SuperDrive DVD±RW/CD-RW

When I insert the DVD, the installer icon appears ("IS" icon) but nothing happens when I double click on it. Nothing at all... DVD drive spins a bit, but no error message, no system crash, no new window appears, no instructions, nothing at all... then eventually the DVD drive stops spinning and all is done.

Does anyone have any ideas? I hope / think that my Macintosh will support this game, but am not sure why it won't install.

Thank you!!

G'day DavidV,

Here are the Mac Recommended specs for installing Cars Video Game:

Mac OSX 10.4 and above
G5 2 Ghz Processor or better
GeForce FX 5200 or Radeon 9200 or better with at least 64MB of VRAM
512MB of RAM
1.4GB disk space
Mouse and Keyboard
CD: 8x

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
From the URL that MacHeadCase provided, it should work fine on that 1.67 Powerbook and work on the OP's iBook although the CPU there is a bit under the minimum required. The eMac is below the specs. So why are people all reporting the same problem? I am grabbing the demo and going to try it on my ibook G4 and iMac G5 and see what happens. Makes me wonder whether something is wrong with the installer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Confusing system requirements

Top of the morning to you as well Pulse-8!

If those are the correct system requirements, then I am very confused. The site I purchased it from, the box it came in, and other web sites including Apple's (as linked to by MacHeadCase in his earlier post to this thread in December) all specify 10.3 and a G4 as being required, not 10.4 and a G5. Where did you find these requirements, as they would definately explain my problem... but also introduce a whole host of complaints that previously printed requirements were inaccurate.

Thanks!
-David V

M

MacHeadCase

This might be a good idea to email the game maker's support staff just to understand what is going on here. Why the multiple system requirements? Why the conflicting info? And more importantly, can you play or not this game on your system.

Reaction score
Top of the morning to you as well Pulse-8!

If those are the correct system requirements, then I am very confused. The site I purchased it from, the box it came in, and other web sites including Apple's (as linked to by MacHeadCase in his earlier post to this thread in December) all specify 10.3 and a G4 as being required, not 10.4 and a G5. Where did you find these requirements, as they would definately explain my problem... but also introduce a whole host of complaints that previously printed requirements were inaccurate.

Thanks!
-David V

I got those specs from this page. This info is 6mths old, but this page doesn't mention anything about needing a G4 although it does mention Mac OS 10.3 as the minimum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got those specs from this page. This info is 6mths old, but this page doesn't mention anything about needing a G4 although it does mention Mac OS 10.3 as the minimum.

Pulse-8: Ah, now I see. You provided the recommended configuration, but just above it is the minimum configuration which my Mac seems to satisfy (G4, 10.3, 1.2Gz or better, etc.)

MacHeadCase: I have written to THQ who make the game, but have not yet received a reply. I will be calling them this week as well as chasing up my email to see if I can get a recommended solution... if I hear anything helpful, I will post it here! Since I hadn't heard anything from them, and can't find anything on other discussion forums, I posted here to see if anyone else had found a patch or explanation for why the installer seems to fail.

Thanks for the input guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Help received from THQ Games

I just called the technical support line from the vendor (THQ) and they said there seems to be a problem with the installer and a recent version of QuickTime. He recommended I uninstall QT, then install the Cars game, then I can reinstall QT. For some reason this might work.

I am at work currently so can't try this out, but will attempt it this evening and hopefully my son will be able to play his game tomorrow! I'll post back if this resolves my problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Uninstalling QuickTime didn't help

I removed all files with "QuickTime" in the file name. Dragged them to the trash, emptied trash, rebooted computer, and then tried to run the installer for the Cars game... still nothing. The installer icon bounces on the tray, then goes away with no action, error message, or result.

I've written back to THQ for any further ideas.

M

MacHeadCase

You done good, DavidV. At least their support staff should have the solutions. If not they should get their product back if it isn't working properly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Vendor is working on the problem... please hold.

I have now spoken with THQ product support again, and they are sorry the QuickTime uninstall didn't work for me. Aparently that has worked for some people, but not everyone... so my problem is not unique.

Aparently they are seeing problems with the Cars game installer on Power PC Macs. The QuickTime uninstall seemed to work for a few people, but they have other reported cases like mine where the installer still doesn't work. They have escallated this to the software development team, and they are working on identifying the problem (and I would logically hope a solution).

They took my name and email address, and said they will "get in touch" when they sort it out.

I'll call them back in a week and see how they're getting along.

...stay tuned if you are interested. I know there are a couple of you out there with the same problem.

M

MacHeadCase

This is great of you to report back to help others in the same situation as you are! Rep points to you, David!
icon14.gif

OP
Stephanella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air, 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB
David, you're not alone! I have now changed Mac (I am on an Intel MacBook) and I have exactly the same probs as before. I have emailed the THQ people and got pointless replies such as it isn't intended for this Mac. So, excuse me one second, IF the box says for PC and Mac and if it does NOT work on my G4 and does NOT work on my MacBook, what Macs is it supposed to work on? What gets me is that they should not advertise it as PC/Mac if in fact it only works for a selected number of Macs, neither of which are the G4 nor the MacBook by my experience.

OP
Stephanella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, here is the latest reply I got if anyone cares about it:

"Hello Stephanie - Intel-based Macs are not the primary supported Macs on which the game will run however we have found an experimental solution which may help you! As you have the Intel Updater now, please try the following:

- mount the DVD
- go to the directory /Volumes (hidden directory, you'll have to show the hidden files using Onyx or another utility - or directly use the terminal)
- make an alias of Disc1
- name it Disc2
Then try the game again - please let us know how you get on!"

I haven't tried it yet, because I think it will be easier to list the game on eBay and be done with it.

PS

I have installed it on my PC but it is unplayable there for it crashes all the time (the PC was bought in December and meets and beats the specs... it plays Doom 3).

M

MacHeadCase

That workaround is worth a try. If it doesn't work hen maybe you can plan on disposing of it in the most devilish ways...
icon12.gif

It's up to you if you really, really, really want to play this game or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
THQ reports they are hearing that other game installers are having similar problems and the Apple QuickTime release is causing quite the headache. Specifically to my request for help on the Cars game installer, they just replied to say:

I am sorry to say we have not heard anything yet in regards to a fix. We have your details stored so that should we hear anything we will contact you and as we haven't, this is why you have not heard from us. I am sorry for the inconvenience this is causing you and will try and re-escalate the issue.

...I am not sure I remain optimistic at this point.

Reaction score
here is how you make it work. you need to copy the "Install Cars" file from disk 1 to your desktop, then eject the disc. run the install program and it will ask for the disc 1 to be inserted. when you insert the dics us the "browse" button on the install window to find the disc in the ./Voumes/ directory and click on Disc1 them click ok and it will install. It takes a bit since it is a java app, they are slow in Mac OS X

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.