Mac To Mac Network-Wired

S

skebenga

I have a iBookG4 my friend has a MacBook Pro.
We would like to establish a network to file share by using a ethernet cable..a direct link. We can do the connection by using airport but we would like to use the cable as the transfer rate is much higher.

PLEASE could anyone enlighten us as to how to go go about this ...we have
tried the help pages and the Apple store help pages to no avail as they all keep refering us to the internet problem. :eek:

Links, comments and guidelines will ALL be MOST welcome friends as this is testing our patience. :bomb:
PS: I looked at the forums posted here and our unique problem did not feature (unless I missed it). :blind:

Many Thanks from two really PROUD APPLE owners!! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
OP
N

NTL1991

You can connect directly to one another but I believe you need an Ethernet Crossover cable, unless you would be wired into a router/hub.

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I would use firewire, its faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 2Ghz 20", MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2Ghz 13"
^Thats what I use. Transfers gigs in minutes.

OP
S

skebenga

NTL1991 said:
You can connect directly to one another but I believe you need an Ethernet Crossover cable, unless you would be wired into a router/hub.

Nick
Thanks for the input Nick.
I made a crossover ethernet cable but the problem is that we cannot "see" each other or more specifically we cannot establish a network which seem's to be our nemisis. The cable is fine as it worked with someone else that has a compaq.
I will definitly let you guys know when we get it right and how we did it. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 2Ghz 20", MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2Ghz 13"
Make sure you have personal file sharing enabled. Goto sharing in system preferences. Then click on personal file sharing, click start. In finder, click on network and you should be able to see the computer your trying to access. This will enable the macs to "see" each other and transfer files from there with certain restrictions unless username/password is specified then you can mount volumes from there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.