Should I make a switch?

A

Atheist

Hi,

I'm about to get a laptop, and i'm completely mesmerized by the Powerbook.
I do graphics editing(photoshop), webdesigning and server side scripting languages like php.
Apart from that, i also do programming, VB.NET/ASP.NET and java. I'm wondering if a powerbook would be suitable for me, also the Virtual PC, if i'd install Visual Studio onto it, would it be lagged? Since it's an emulator, that's all for now, thanks. So my question is, should i make a switch?

NOTE: i made a similiar post in the Powerbook forum(i realised i posted in the wrong forums), and it didn't get much response, pardon me for posting this again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Atheist said:
I'm wondering if a powerbook would be suitable for me, also the Virtual PC, if i'd install Visual Studio onto it, would it be lagged? Since it's an emulator, that's all for now, thanks.

VPC, from my understanding (aince I never have, and likely never will, use it), is far from ideal, and isn't suitable for powerful or graphics-intensive applications. You would be better off investing in a Mac-native application for your needs. As for switching, well, of course you should. :D

OP
A

Atheist

Thanks for the info so far :)
Has anyone tried running visual studio on VPC?

OP
M

mrchaotica

Atheist said:
Thanks for the info so far :)
Has anyone tried running visual studio on VPC?

You may want to take a look at Xcode, which is part of the Developer Tools on Apple's website. I'm certain it does C/C++ and Java, but it might not do .Net.

Of course, depending on how much VB and ASP programming you do, you may be better off with a Windows computer (or, better yet, use a real programming language instead of VB!)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.