It's HHEEEERRREEEE :) Wireless Question?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Ok... The eagle is in the nest :) It's (20" iMac)here sitting with me in an amazingly descrete brown box, from "ACI"... It probably needs to be so disquised as to not cause mass histaria, as it travels the country. ;)

So.. I also have a new Netgear Wireless (g) router that arrived today as well (Perfect timing!).

I have another Router (b), that is currently set-up wih my PC. In order for everything to work without issues, is it best to set-up the new router with the PC, using the install CD-ROM first, and once working, then turn-on the iMac for automatic detection???

Do I need the install CD-ROM to set-up the router with the iMac?

TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
the mac should just pick it up. but install the cd on windows. doesnt matter which way round.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb
Installing a router from a cd is false. there is infact no such thing as drivers for windows & routers, the router is an inbuilt device that uses scripting and has its own firmware.. dont run the cd and be hardcore...

Navigate to your local http://192.168.1.(1, 2, 0) !

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed, I usually just open a Web Browser and go to the IP address of the router. I think Netgear is 192.168.1.1. If you have any issues, we are here for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb
Support* is here. :)

I find the CD is aload of loo laa thats not needed and in my Linksys case didnt even work the first time til i found the hardcore way. Just use the Ip as dtravis said and you cant go wrong.. its very self explanatory. good luck setting up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
i just a new netgear router and set it up with the cd.. thats only for non technical people to try and make things easy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
andy_st200 said:
i just a new netgear router and set it up with the cd.. thats only for non technical people to try and make things easy

Maybe, but if you allways follow the yellow path you wont learn the true things behind it. and well if you want to secure yourself with your router, there are better options within the browser than the cd installer indicates. for instance it wont offer you Broadcast mode off or on. and it wont allow you to accept your MAC address only and deniy all. ;)

OP
RiDE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
BlooGrape said:
Maybe, but if you allways follow the yellow path you wont learn the true things behind it. and well if you want to secure yourself with your router, there are better options within the browser than the cd installer indicates. for instance it wont offer you Broadcast mode off or on. and it wont allow you to accept your MAC address only and deniy all. ;)

NICE!!! I'll try the "Hardcore" way on the PC... Where do I get the Netgear IP from??? Then what. Do I just get home plug-in the Router to power, connect to the Modem... then what???

EVEN more excited now..

"Knowledge is power!"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Connect the RJ11 into the ADSL Filter -> Connect the Ethernet RJ45 -> PC (if using the PC)

Open up IE
http://192.168.1.1
Username: admin
Password: password / admin / pass / 1234 (unsure which for netgear)

go change password, then setup WEP, turn SSID on if not on. set your username and password for modem (either if its inbuilt or external) then connect your iMac, goto router admin add your MAC Address to safe list, then turn it to deniy all except mac address list, if you can turn SSID off to keep your network even more secure. i dont use WEP i use WPK (i think its named that, my ip wont respond at the mo so cant check)

good luck if you need help.
(also turn the wireless to auto B & G!) LLC i think is the states also!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
yea do it via web browser. Just a tip. DLINK is the only Router BESIDES Apples Airport that has Tech Support for Macintosh. I learned this out when i went to upgrade my Dlink B band to a G band. I spent the Extra $10 and got the DLINK. NO problems and works like a charm!!

OP
RiDE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Wireless help PLEASE????

I am now happily typing from my new iMac... It is AWESOME!!!

Here is my problem...

Prior to the iMac arriving I had my PC set-up wirelessly.... PS in one room... modem & Linksys(b) router in a completely different room. Everything was running perfctly.

I would like to use my new Netgear Router (g).... I tried to simply plug it in to the wall out let and connect it to the cable modem... it wouldn't work on the PC and the iMac would not recognize it as even existing upon start-up.

I tried to just use the Netgear(g) install CD on the PC, and it would not set-up... it said something about not being able to set-up the router using a wireless card.

I ended up just going back and re-connecting the linksys(b), and all is well.. BUT.. I'd really like to use the Netgear(g).

Is there a way to set-up the Netgear Router withOUT a direct connection???

As always.. TIA!!!!!

T

todd51

I'm don't think so. You'll probably have to directly connect your PC to the router to get the router configured. Just take the time to move the PC for one day to set it all up, then just put it back in the other room. OR to make things easier, if you know someone who has a PC laptop, ask them if they will do it for you so that you won't have to drag your desktop in the other room.

OP
RiDE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
ok.. thanks.. I guess that's what I'll have to do..

how noticeable is the difference between wireless (b) and wireless (g)????

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yes, you have to use a Wired connection to first set up that Netgear. Just plug a Cat 5 cable (One came with the Netgear) in one of the LAN ports on the Netgear and the other end to either the Mac or PC and open a browser and input 192.168.1.1 and see what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Without trying to hi jack this thread too much .

I assumed that if I already had a Linksys router set up for mixed traffic it would not have any issues when I get my new iMac. I currently run 2 PC's wirelessly. from a Linksys WRT54g

Am I to understand that the Guy at the Apple store iis telling me porky's

OP
RiDE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
dtravis7 said:
Yes, you have to use a Wired connection to first set up that Netgear. Just plug a Cat 5 cable (One came with the Netgear) in one of the LAN ports on the Netgear and the other end to either the Mac or PC and open a browser and input 192.168.1.1 and see what happens.

What about the cable modem.... do I keep eveything else hooked up as is??? (The old Linksys(b) w/ the modem)

T

todd51

No, plug teh cable modem into the Internet port on the back of the router, then plug you computer into one of the 4 ports in the back of the router, then type in that IP address and you should be able to access you router settings.

OP
RiDE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
todd51 said:
No, plug teh cable modem into the Internet port on the back of the router, then plug you computer into one of the 4 ports in the back of the router, then type in that IP address and you should be able to access you router settings.

Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.