best external dvd burner

Q

qc dsm tsi

Hey, just curious about some external dvd burners available for the mac. Im getting a iBook, and want the ability to possibly burn dvd's at some point in time. I looked at a couple threads, and someone mentioned something about iDVD not supporting external burners, is this true? Also saw some type of rumor, of apple (or pioneer) producing a external superdrive? Are there any truths to these?

Thanks in a advance

OP
M

msSwitch

qc dsm tsi said:
Hey, just curious about some external dvd burners available for the mac. Im getting a iBook, and want the ability to possibly burn dvd's at some point in time. I looked at a couple threads, and someone mentioned something about iDVD not supporting external burners, is this true? Also saw some type of rumor, of apple (or pioneer) producing a external superdrive? Are there any truths to these?

Thanks in a advance

Here's a link to a very extensive review of the Plextor PX-504UF "superdrive" of sorts: http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/plex/ This handy external drive offers DVD+R/RW and CD-R/RW. Since the PB is DVD-R, I'm covered as far as the two formats are concerned. I haven't tested mine out (just got it today) but from what I've been reading it's pretty cool.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
iDVD does not support external DVD burners. I believe that DVD Suudio Pro does support external DVD burners. As for a DVD burner, I have a LaCie. Which works very well for me.

OP
C

Chamorro

qc dsm tsi said:
someone mentioned something about iDVD not supporting external burners, is this true?

As stated earlier, yes. I just use Toast 6...not much as far as menu options, but (relatively) cheap and reliable.

qc dsm tsi said:
Also saw some type of rumor, of apple (or pioneer) producing a external superdrive?

Follow Apple discussions long enough, and you'll hear a LOT of rumors :D
If they did make one, it would still require a software update to be used w/ iDVD, I think.

I have an NEC 1300 DVD+/- R/RW that works great for me. You should be able to use supported internal IDE burners, just put them in a FireWire enclosure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.