Interesting discovery with my iMac G5 revision A.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
Well, since my 1 year warranty expired 2 days ago, and I did not purchase an Apple Care protection plan, I decided to open up my iMac and take a look. I have a Revision A iMac G5, 17" 2gig PPC 1.5gig ram. When I first got my iMac G5, I loved it. After a couple months, the fans started to speed up creating the infamous vacuum noise. It was bearable at first, since I use headphones most of the time. My CPU would idle at 66c and go up to 85c under full load.

I opened up my case, and looked at the G5 processor and fan. I peeled off the thin, I guess alluminum or some sort of metallic material, sheet that has the 'G5' lable. Underneath it was, I'm guessin the heatsink. There are a series of holes scattered around the heatsink. They were covered by strips of clear tape. I decided to remove the strips of clear tape, to see if it allowed for more air to move around. I closed everything back up, but I did not place the G5 mettalic sheet back on the heatsink.

I fired up my mac, and monitored temps. My idle dropped about 10c after letting the system run for about 10 minutes. So now my idle temps are around 56c instead of the previous 66c. I then monitored temps under full load by playing world of warcraft for about 30minutes. Full load temps stayed the same, around 83ish compared to the previous 85c.

As I'm writing this post right now, my temps are now back down to 57.4C. My fan temps are now quieter in idle mode and doin not-so-intensive programs like firefox. However, under full stress the fan noise is still like a dying whale or something.

I'm going to see if I can fool around with the CPU fan a bit, to see if I can find better airflow, keep you posted on what I find. I don't know if this will help anybody, but I'm going to try to find a way to eliminate or at least lessen the fan noise that is cursing the revision A imacs.

I'll also try to post up some pics.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.