• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Finally got an update and have no clue what to do...

S

Shannon

first of all...
thank you, thank you, thank you for this wonderful forum. I'm thrilled to have some Mac help without paying an arm and a leg!

I have a (really) old Power Mac G3, the beige desktop model. It's been wonderful and I love it. However, I recently came into some money and was able to buy a new Macbook Pro laptop. Which is great. I love it, but I can't figure anything out on it. I always thought of myself being Mac savvy, but it turns out, I don't really know very much.

I didn't really keep up with my software updates on the G3. I am addicted to Photoshop and have the old version 5. I used 7 at work and didn't really need to upgrade at home. The same situation with QuarkXPress. I want to buy the upgrades and use them on my new laptop. But as you know, I can't load that old software on my new laptop because of the processor (or something like that).

Here's my question: Can I buy the upgrades and load them on my G3 and then transfer them to my laptop somehow? And if so, how do I transfer the applications from the G3?

Am I sunk into buying all brand new software?
This is the first of many questions, but we'll see where this gets me!

Thanks in advance for your time.

Shannon

OP
D

DV'sG4

Hmm..First let me tell you congrats on the Mb Pro..gorgeous computer ( jealous lol) But I believe you have to buy the software all over again ( Don't take my word for it) Apple might have offered it as a preinstall when you ordered it, but I'm not sure. Sorry I can't be of much help but enjoy your new baby :black:

OP
S

Shannon

it just has to work...

Even though I have the original serial numbers for the software, I would still have to buy new copies of the software??? that really stinks!

There has to be some way to make this work. I guess I could buy the upgrades and use them on the G3. I'm starting to regret buying the new laptop. I can't do anything on it that I bought it for and I'm learning that OSX isn't really all that great. I guess it's my fault, I should have researched more before I jumped right in. But knowing macs, I thought I knew what I was doing.

Can someone help me figure this out? I'm trying to start a little design business with some photography on the side. I have customers waiting for me to get started, but I can't do anything with my new equipment because I can't load the software. It's getting very frustrating.

Shannon

OP
S

sursuciofla

All you have to buy is the upgrade. Be sure you have previous serial numbers like. I could actually sell you CS1 and Quark 7. I don't use them anymore.

OP
S

Shannon

sursuciofla said:
All you have to buy is the upgrade. Be sure you have previous serial numbers like. I could actually sell you CS1 and Quark 7. I don't use them anymore.

So, I can upgrade on the G3. How do I get it off the G3 and onto my laptop?

You would sell me the full versions of CS1 and Quark 7? What's your price?

Shannon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
Shannon said:
So, I can upgrade on the G3. How do I get it off the G3 and onto my laptop?

No, you would install straight onto your MBP, but you'd need your previous serial numbers to validate that you own an earlier version.

By 'upgrade' they mean a newer version. It is still a complete app install.

OP
S

sursuciofla

CS works with the G3 and up. CS2 only works with G4 and up. I am not sure how to get it off the G3 though because I have never had to do it. You won't have to anyways if you have full version.

And have to edit, I have Quark 6 not 7. CS1 is full version but tagged academic. But yeah I can sell to you. It just sits on my shelf since I have CS2. I will figure a price and repost or you can offer for it. No negative feedback on ebay (tbbuc2840) and I am paypal business certified.

Reaction score
Shannon, get the upgrades for QuarkXpress and Photoshop. These disks don't just contain extra code that tacks onto your existing applications. They are the full-meal deal at a lower price because you already paid full-freight when you bought the older versions.

If you're running OS 9 in the G3, the upgrades won't load in that machine because they won't run in OS 9. Just write down the applications' serial numbers so you can enter them when you load the new versions of the applications in the new machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Looks like everybody here already gave you the information you need to get started, they are correct, just buy the upgrade version and it will install.. Congrats on your new macbook pro, as a fellow owneri I can say this, you are going to love it.

OP
S

Shannon

another question...

ahhhhhh. That's me breathing a sigh of relief!
I'm so glad that I don't have to buy new software. The upgrades are much more in my price range.
I haven't researched this yet, but does anybody know if I can upgrade from photoshop 5 to CS2? Also, the same question for Quark. I have Quark 4.1. Can I upgrade to Quark 7 or whatever is the latest out there. I'd like to switch to InDesign eventually, but for now, Quark will work.
Mainly I need my photoshop. I'm so addicted to it and I can't wait to try out CS2.

Thanks for all the help!

Shannon

OP
S

sursuciofla

You can download trial version of CS2 on adobe website to see if you like it. I can sell you CS for less than what you would be paying for upgrade. If money isn't a factor then get CS2. I have it and love it. Actually got it free because bought CS in the middle of product update.

OP
S

sursuciofla

And about Quark, version 3-6.5, you can buy upgrade. And I wouldn't waste your money. I find InDesign a lot better.

OP
S

sursuciofla

And if you indeed do purchase upgrade to PS9 be sure you have old product code (activation key). You will have to call Adobe to get upgrade activated and they will ask you for it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.