Lost!! Please help!!

L

Lurkstatus

Hello! For a long time I have been an avid Windows user but recently made the all encompassing switch to a Macbook Pro. I recently took a trip to Europe and let my not so computer savvy Father borrow my laptop while I was gone. When I returned home, I went to start my top up and it asked for my name and password, normal of course but what was not normal was that my name and password were changed. I spoke to my father who had no idea how it had happened. Okay, well, I can't get mad at my dad but I need some help. I need to know whether I should re-install OS X or what. However, I have always thought that to re-install OS X I needed to access my computer through my name and password. Is this true? What do I do? Please help! I also don't have the install CDs but I can get them.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You can boot with the OSX Restore/Install DVD. Hold down the "C" key till it starts to boot from the DVD. When you get to the menu, there is an option to Reset the password. Do that and all should be fine. If you have problems ask away!

OP
L

Lurkstatus

dtravis7 said:
You can boot with the OSX Restore/Install DVD. Hold down the "C" key till it starts to boot from the DVD. When you get to the menu, there is an option to Reset the password. Do that and all should be fine. If you have problems ask away!

So I can boot OSX restore/Install DVD without typing in my "new" name and password?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Lurkstatus said:
So I can boot OSX restore/Install DVD without typing in my "new" name and password?

Yes, Read the URL that sursuciofla mentioned. It tells just how to do it. If that does not work, let us know.

OP
L

Lurkstatus

dtravis7 said:
Yes, Read the URL that sursuciofla mentioned. It tells just how to do it. If that does not work, let us know.

It's great to find a place where people are so willing to help out! Thanks a lot!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.