Internet not working?

J

Jonster

I don't know if this is a mac problem, but I just figured it is. You'll see why. I got back from Texas and now I'm home in Connecticut. While I was in Texas, I used the wireless internet that my family had through the AirPort. When I got home, I was able to connect to my wireless internet for a couple days, but I woke up one moring and it won't connect to the internet. It says I have full signal, but I can't even get google to load. I have two PCs and a HP laptop in my house, all of which have and can connect to the internet still (I'm on one right now). Do you know why my Powerbook won't connect to the internet? Do you think I messed something up during travel? I don't know if this is an internet problem, or an AirPort problem. Please, if you could, shed some light on my situation. Thanks.
:eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12 in PowerBook 1.5ghz
I have a very similar problem which I was also seeking the answer to...

Guess it is not too uncommon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Jonster said:
I don't know if this is a mac problem, but I just figured it is. You'll see why. I got back from Texas and now I'm home in Connecticut. While I was in Texas, I used the wireless internet that my family had through the AirPort. When I got home, I was able to connect to my wireless internet for a couple days, but I woke up one moring and it won't connect to the internet. It says I have full signal, but I can't even get google to load. I have two PCs and a HP laptop in my house, all of which have and can connect to the internet still (I'm on one right now). Do you know why my Powerbook won't connect to the internet? Do you think I messed something up during travel? I don't know if this is an internet problem, or an AirPort problem. Please, if you could, shed some light on my situation. Thanks.
:eek:neye:

1. Make sure you're connected to your wireless AP, and not your next door neighbors or something.

2. Open Network Utility, under the Info tab, make sure your wireless device is selected. Make sure it has an IP address that doesn't start with 169.

3. In Network Utility, ping the router's address (usually either 10.0.1.1 or 192.168.1.1). If you get a response, then your wireless is working fine.

4. Ping the address 64.233.167.99 (Google's IP). If this works, then you have a DNS issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12 in PowerBook 1.5ghz
Osiris22x said:
1. Make sure you're connected to your wireless AP, and not your next door neighbors or something.

2. Open Network Utility, under the Info tab, make sure your wireless device is selected. Make sure it has an IP address that doesn't start with 169.

3. In Network Utility, ping the router's address (usually either 10.0.1.1 or 192.168.1.1). If you get a response, then your wireless is working fine.

4. Ping the address 64.233.167.99 (Google's IP). If this works, then you have a DNS issue.

Osiris,

Does this troubleshooting method only work for AirPort networks? I have no problem connecting to my AirPort at home, but when I am on campus (UT-Austin) my wireless hardly ever works. I am not too sure about the details of my campus network but I was hoping you might have some insight.

It always displays a full signal, says I am connected, but it just won't load any pages most of the time (sometimes it works). Other computers around me are always running wireless fine.

OP
J

Jonster

How would I ping an address? Just type it into my web browser? If so, I've typed both of the IPs and they both timed out. My wireless must be working fine because I'm using it right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Jonster said:
How would I ping an address? Just type it into my web browser? If so, I've typed both of the IPs and they both timed out. My wireless must be working fine because I'm using it right now.
Open up the terminal and type this: ping -c4 google.com

Substitute the google.com to whatever you want to ping.

--lifeafter2am

OP
J

Jonster

Okay, I did that and got response from both. Now how can I go about fixing my DNS issue?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.