Using without battery

I

iKwak

Lately, I just use my notebook at home.
I decided to use the notebook without the battery and only with the adapter for power.

Will this extend the iBook's battery life or will it be the same if I use it on a daily basis?

OP
A

amcdonnell

As far as I know.... once the power adaptor is in, and the battery is full- The laptop will just run through the mains bypassing the battery, if i'm right and this is the case, unplugging your battery will not give it any extra life.

Al

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Actually no they do say to remove the battery if you are not using it.. where did I read that.. I think it was in the latest MacAddict.

OP
A

amcdonnell

true, true!

Can someone confirm that leaving the battery in while plugged in kills battery
life?
Merci Buckets

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I know that when I have my battery in it could be 100% then a day later it shows 99% and then the next day 98% and so forth and so forth, it hasnt gotten below 94% just because by then I needed to go somewhere and had to unplug and then when I got back I plugged it back in and it charged back up to 100%.

When you are powering using the cord it has to go through the battery otherwise it wouldnt charge the battery... so I prefer to remove the battery when using it with the cord.. less juice running through it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
I read somewhere that it is best to keep the battery in whether or not you are running off the power cord. A battery that is just sittng around full or empty slowly deteriorates. It is best to run the battery from full to empty on a regular basis. Whether regular means weekly, monthly, or daily I do not know. Even a slow drain on the battery is better than leaving it sitting around for any period of time. That's why it is good to store batteries in the freezer.

OP
R

Ray

Battery Fun

jaster said:
I read somewhere that it is best to keep the battery in whether or not you are running off the power cord. A battery that is just sittng around full or empty slowly deteriorates. It is best to run the battery from full to empty on a regular basis. Whether regular means weekly, monthly, or daily I do not know. Even a slow drain on the battery is better than leaving it sitting around for any period of time. That's why it is good to store batteries in the freezer.

It is not best to run a batter full or empty if it is Lithium cell. All iBook batteries are lithiums, which means using them until they are flat dead is not required. In fact, if you were to drain a lithium completely dead (almost impossible if you are trying) it will die forever.

I bought an iBook on eBay a while back and it came to me with a dead battery. I have never replaced it (still looking for a good deal on one). The down side to not having a battery is that your time and date resets all the time. I would think there would be a separate battery for that, but aparently not.

I would think removing your battery would be a good move. Lithiums have a life of about 500 cycles. But if you are going to keep it out for an extended period of time, charge it full before removing it. If you use up a lithium battery, and then put it on a shelf for a few months, it will probably never live again.

-Ray

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.