user restrictions and lost admin password

P

pwallin

Hey all, my first post here! Sorry my english 'cause I'm Finnish.

I am quite new to OSX (used earlier OS's a few years ago) and do not own a Mac myself (yet), but have to do some maintenance and occassional administration jobs at our school. So my first question is that can administrator give restrictions to other users about these things:

1. Not install/remove any applications
2. Not change any visual or system-settings
3. Only allow users to save in the documents folder (or away from desktop at least) but not anywhere else.

And another question:

Some student has managed to change administrator password (fault of previous stupid administrator to give sucha a password to a student)

How can I reset whole system so that I can give it a new admin password and erase current unknown password? At the moment I cannot log in as a admin at all...only as a user. I heard that this is possible with install disk somehow, is it true?

-Pasi-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
pwallin said:
I heard that this is possible with install disk somehow, is it true?

-Pasi-
Welcome to the forums.
To answer your question...yes, it is true.
There are several threads on this forum that discuss this procedure. If you take a moment to search for them you will find the answers you seek.
:black:

OP
P

pwallin

D3v1L80Y said:
Welcome to the forums.
To answer your question...yes, it is true.
There are several threads on this forum that discuss this procedure. If you take a moment to search for them you will find the answers you seek.
:black:

Thanks! Now I have to start digging this forum.

-Pasi-

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.