Hard Drive upgrade failed...

P

punkyb9

I have a G4 Aluminum Powerbook, 80gb drive, around 1.2ghz I think. I decided I needed more space, so I ordered a new Hard Drive (Seagate, 120gb). After cloning it with Carbon Copy Cloner (using an external enclosure) I followed the install instructions at http://www.xlr8yourmac.com very carefully. Booted up my computer and got the flashing folder/question mark screen. I tried replacing the old hard drive, but when I booted up, I got the same screen. I tried booting up off the Apple Restore disk, but the drive didn't appear in the Disk Utility. I tried zapping the PRAM and resetting te PMU. I tried starting up using the option key, but no options appeared.

I'm about out of ideas. Is it the hard drive ribbon? The logic board? What are my options here? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you sure you plugged in the ribbon cable the right way? Not a row of pins off or maybe bent a pin?

OP
P

punkyb9

I tried it several times, and I believe I lined it up right. I put it on carefully so I wouldn't bend the pins..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.