Fatal hardware error

T

tangoz

My second hard disk is now unreadable. I've checked with the disk utility and got the message "This drive has reported a fatal hardware error to Disk Utility. If the drive has not failed completely, back up as much data as you can and then replace it with working drive." Unfortunately...it's failed completely and I've no more access to my data. By the way, the disk controler is OK. I know because I did some switched with another hard disk. Also, I cannot recover data with Norton and Disk Warrior.

What are my options now ?

tks

OP
M

macgeek2005

There isn't much you can do. That just happened to me with a brand new 320GB drive I bought for my Mac Pro. However, when Disk Utility gave me that message, the hard drive still appeard on the desktop, and I could still access it's files. Nevertheless, I returned it for a replacement.

OP
T

tangoz

Pulse-8 said:
What about firewiring the HD to another mac and using Target Disc Mode?

it's an interne disk...how can I do that and what is Target Disc Mode anyway ?

tks

Reaction score
tangoz said:
wow I will give it a try for sure. tks

Post back to let us know how it goes, or to ask any questions.

Also feel free to take advantage of our search functions...it's possible that your problem has been solved before...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You can try THIS. It just recovered about 200Gb of my Music from a failed drive a few days ago, it works quite well.

TD mode may not work. The issue is that OSX won't mount the drive in the computer, accessing it from another still requires it to be mounted by the OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.