Odd & colourful startup but worried.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
Ok have my MacBook for quite a while now and all has been great.

Until today.

Started it up from cold and all I got on my screen was vertical lines of colour. The lines were very thin ie 1px wide but of all kinds of colours.
The lines wouldnt show at first but as it was left longer they start to appear gradually until very visable.

Any one know or have had this problem?

The only way I could get it to boot again properly was to use the PRAM clear on Boot( the alt+apple+R+P with power on )

I usually just sleep my machine but for some reason I switched it off before work for once. Then I get this.

Is this just a small glitch or could this be a more serious problem?

I

iank45

It sounds like a serious problem. It may have a bad lcd screen i would think. not too sure tho.

symondavis said:
Ok have my MacBook for quite a while now and all has been great.

Until today.

Started it up from cold and all I got on my screen was vertical lines of colour. The lines were very thin ie 1px wide but of all kinds of colours.
The lines wouldnt show at first but as it was left longer they start to appear gradually until very visable.

Any one know or have had this problem?

The only way I could get it to boot again properly was to use the PRAM clear on Boot( the alt+apple+R+P with power on )

I usually just sleep my machine but for some reason I switched it off before work for once. Then I get this.

Is this just a small glitch or could this be a more serious problem?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There is an issue causing it on some MacBooks. I would take it to Apple ASAP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
no, dont call apple. i had the same problem and read on the forums that if u readjust your display to some other display ratio than your current one and restart it then switch back to the display u like it fixes the problem. why? i have no clue, i just kno that i havent had it happen to me since. good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
cazabam said:
You can call AppleCare for confirmation, but this is a problem with 10.4.7 - doing what CarlConti08 said is the Apple-prescribed solution.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=558018&tstart=100

Yep, this actually does the trick, as strange as it might sound...
I had that same issue on 4 different MacBooks, including mine, and since doing the procedure described in that link, no more colorfull lines at startup.

OP
symondavis
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
Nice on people. This has stopped the lines for now. Hopefully forever, fingers crossed.

Thanks again
Sym

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
if it happens again, just remember this proccess. for me, it started when i randomly cleared the pram. maybe just avoiding clearing pram.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.