• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Tivo... A few questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac Core 2 Duo
Hey guys!

I have a few simple questions...

How is Tivo able to record digital cable? Does it somehow communicate with the digital cable box?

I see that they have some devices out for watching tv on a Mac... Can you hook any of these devices up to a digital cable box and still have them work right?

Basicly, I want to watch and record tv on my apple and I have digital cable...

I know you could hook up the cable box to a regular tv cable device... but then you would not be able to record shows in the future... You would have to change the station on the cablebox... (You know what I am saying?)

I don't want to have to use the cablebox to change the stations... Is there anyway to do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, Dual Proc 2.6GHz
The cable box is doing the decoding of the signal then passes it off to the Tivo as an analog signal. Unless you are talking about the new one recently announced or a version put out by a cable company.

So you should be able to hook any device up to the cable box. But you wouldn't be able to come straight out of the wall into the Mac device since there is nothing to decode it. Still changing the channels is a different story unless the device you are looking at has or supports an ir blaster.

Digital cable is still a pain to deal with in the DIY DVR world.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.