RAm question

P

pbook24

so i just got the money to buy some more ram,and i have a big question. Is ti critical to have matched pairs? i will eventually go up to 2gb, but i dont have the money now. I have enough for 1 gig. I obviously dont want to buy 2X512 becayse then i have to buy 2X1gb when i want 2 gb. can i buy a 1 gig stick and have 1.25gb?.

Reaction score
pbook24 said:
so i just got the money to buy some more ram,and i have a big question. Is ti critical to have matched pairs? i will eventually go up to 2gb, but i dont have the money now. I have enough for 1 gig. I obviously dont want to buy 2X512 becayse then i have to buy 2X1gb when i want 2 gb. can i buy a 1 gig stick and have 1.25gb?.
It's not critical. There is roughly a 6 - 8 % speed improvement between having 1 Gb of matched (512 x2) vs 1 Gb single. But... since you can install a 1 Gb along with the 256 in the other slot, you get a bit of a boost from the extra .25 Gb RAM, and you can go to 2 Gb when you can afford it.
Choose a 1 Gb module from a reputable RAM seller who tests and guaranteed compatibility with the MacBook, offers a lifetime warranty, and a no cost return if it doesn't work.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

OP
T

transamman1999

i would just wait til you have enough money for both gigs. its only $215ish for 2 1GB sticks from NewEgg.com SHIPPED. so why pay and wait for shipping TWICE?
if you're short on cash on this cheap mod then you obviously arent gonna wanna pay for shipping twice or pay for local retailer mark-up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.