Apple Technician Training & Leopard - seeking advice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo
Hi there
For ages, I have been meaning to go for the Apple technician training as I would someday like to work with Macs all the time. I figure the training will give me a good grounding in the OS and help me toward taking each of their exams for Certification (desktop, OS and laptop - i think those are the three). Now I have saved up I can afford to go for this, but I am a bit hesitant...
Here's the thing: I know Leopard is coming out soon, so do I wait until then before parting with my cash? Or do I just get on with it? Does anyone have any expereince of this?

It may not make any difference, but just wanted to get some opinion on this.

________
Alternative Mac History Mactimewarp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Apple will not come out with a Leopard test right after the OS launch. If you test now the test will certification will expire in a year anyway. Needless to say the hardware has been intel since Jan '05 and the test still hasn't changed. They basically have a great Tech site (gsx.apple.com) that has all the resources a tech needs. The test wants you to answer specifics on certain hardware quirks and certain apple-esque troubleshooting techniques. You can pay the $299.00 for the materials but you still won't get into GSX without being part of an Apple authorized reseller/service center. On top of that you'll need to take (3) tests at $150 a pop to be an ACDT and ACPT. Working on Macs using the GSX tools is really required.

If you got $750 to drop on tests and materials, go for it now, no use in waiting for Leopard test to come out. It'll be out 6mos to a year after shipping.

Otherwise wait until you join up with a Mac shop to have them foot the bill.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.